• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Conch Recipe, Help :confused:

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Hamrrhed

Blue Water Wanna Be
Mar 27, 2001
Im pretty good at preparing abalone but due to a recent relocation conch has become my mollusk of choice, unfortunatley I dont have a clue how to prepare it or for that matter have a decent recipe, can anyone throw some pointers my way.

Thanks
Hamrrhed
Aruba

From the Bahamas, the best conch dishes are cracked conch, conch chowder, and conch salad.

Conch salad takes a lot of beating :p Dice up some conch ( raw ), a green pepper, a red onion, a fresh chilli pepper, a few tomatoes, and then squeeze loads of lemon juice over it. Grind up some black pepper and throw that over the top. You don't need to be too precise about quantities, and you can substitute one or two of the ingredients with something else.

Except the conch, of course.

Reactions: Shadowkiller
Get the conch, Beat the hell out of it with a mallet. Season it and bread it. Deep fry it and there you go.. Use coctail sauce and or any other type of sauce that you like.

The raw salad is the best. Use some hot sauce and kick it up a notch.

You can also make it in an italian sauce and make scungilli. That is just fancy for conch in tomato and basil with olive oil over pasta.

Cheers

Aquiles

Originally posted by Aquiles
and kick it up a notch.
Cheers

Aquiles

and kick it up a notch?? BAM!

jeez, kid you're watching cooking shows instead of studying??!! :naughty The ceviche salad recipe is very good for both abalone and conch or all other marine mollusks, but give the uncut/sliced meat a good smacking a few times by putting it in a old towel or cloth sack and going Barry Bonds with it on the curb. Then slice that bad thang up, season and call in the hotties. You on da way to bein' da man !! :king

sven

Man Sven, you beat me to the "Cooking with Emeril" comment. I have a question for you guys though; how do I take the conch out of the shell without breaking it to a thousand pieces? I know a guy that every time he goes to the Bahamas he brings back a bunch that are still in the shell and he'll always give me a few. Hamrrhed, you should try making some conch fritters too.

Jimmy

There's 2 ways.

Where the shell goes up into a spiral, you knock in a six inch dive knife. This severs the conch's attachment to the shell. It still means you get a hole in the shell, and you have to get the right spot for it to work.

Option 2 is a bit crueler. You boil up a big pan of water, and drop the live conch in - it comes right out of the shell then.

I don't eat conch anymore, by the way.

AltSaint, thanks for info. I remember seeing it done by a very experienced Bahamian who made it looks almost effortless but when I tried it it didn't go so well so I went the smashing the shell to bits route. I'll give it a try again next time.

Jimmy

All,

Thanks for the help, I played hell getting that darn thing out, whats up with that slime?
While it was good, I think Ill let them stay in the water.

Thanks again

Anthony

Working in Aruba

Reactions: gitano
CONCH REMOVAL

take the conch so that the pointy part of the shell if facing up.......from the top of the point, count down three rings and hammer in between the third and 4th ring with a flat head screwdriver and make a big enough slice to get a butter knife in there...put the butter knife in the slice mark and run it along the inside spiral of the shell....this will sever the top of the conch from the shell......

or you can hang them from a hook.....place a fish hook in the base of the conch foot and hang it from a close line and wait a few hours......better to use this method in the shade and in the same day you catch them

WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T USE THE BOILING WATER METHOD!!!!!!

Re: CONCH REMOVAL

Originally posted by PILOT
WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T USE THE BOILING WATER METHOD!!!!!!

Out of morbid curiosity - what'll that do? :confused:

putting the conch in boiling water will cook them and make them inedible.......a conch has to be thinly sliced, pounded thin with a mallet, or cut into tiny pieces for salad, soup.

once the conch is boiled whole you could use it to play raquetball......:)

Pilot, I tried the hook method last summer and it didn't work at all. I hung three of them and what would happened was that they started to come out but the weight of the shell didn't rip them out. Every time that they saw a shadow or someone would sneak over to take a peak they would just pull themselves up into their shells again. I did all of this at night. It is amazing how long those things lived out of water until I got fed up and smashed the shell with a mallet. Oh and the slime thing is horrible. I'll try your other technique when I get the chance. Thanks

goblinshark,

thats is strange that the hook method did'nt work...it does take a few hours......best to get conch in the beginning of the trip and set them back by the engine unti the end of the day....that should help with the hook method......i can imagine the hook method with a live conch could take 12 hours.....the third ring with a butter knife is the best and most reliable.....good luck

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT