• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Considerably lower holds than normal?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Dec 20, 2016
Hello everyone. I have only been working on dry static apnea for a couple weeks. I have worked up to about a 3:00 max, but today I am really struggling to make it to 1:30. Are bad days something that happen occasionally, is there something I might be doing that is reversing my progress? Thanks!

No one could possibly tell you that you may be doing something to 'reverse your progress'

Diet, energy, and mental wellness are key factors in my book.

Maybe you worked up to a 3 and then didn't stay consistent enough to hold it? Who knows.

With some more information I'm sure someone could better help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one could possibly tell you that you may be doing something to 'reverse your progress'

Diet, energy, and mental wellness are key factors in my book.

Maybe you worked up to a 3 and then didn't stay consistent enough to hold it? Who knows.

With some more information I'm sure someone could better help.

Reactions: catFishInMyHand
Would temperature be a possible factor? I am in a colder environment than normal.

Sorry for the double post but yes temperature is a huge factor.

Your body will use energy to keep an internal temperature equilibrium or balance. So.. the colder your outside environment is, the harder your body works to stay warm.. the more energy you inherently consume.. the less oxygen available.. the seemingly harder breathe holds.

My holds are cut considerably on the elliptical machine when the gym AC is left on overnight.

Also, do you practice on an empty stomach? Digestion wrecks breath hold ability. The longer you wait and the less you eat before diving, the better.

bad days do happen. I'm convinced however that this is mostly a mental issue, and that it can always be overcome if you're headstrong. Your mind will always come up with excuses to start breathing again, calling it "a bad day" is a very common trick your mind uses to convince you to stop. Things might come up in your head like "today is just not my day" or "this hold is not going to be good" or "better try again later". Don't identify with these thoughts, as long as you are conscious you have the choice to keep holding.

Thanks a bunch for the response. Should I occasionally take days off, is there part of me, mental or physical, that actually requires rest to get better? Or do I just power through the discomfort every day?

That's up to you. Just listen to your body, if you need a rest it'll tell you; awareness is everything in freediving. Personally I don't like to dive more than 5 times a week but I guess it's different for everyone.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT