• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Considerations for freediving in a lake

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Andrew702

Apr 7, 2016
I am interested in doing some freediving in a lake and there are things I'd like to know about what to expect. I understand there will be a strong thermocline and low visibility. The questions I have are:

Will I need a head lamp?

Should I anker my bouy somehow to the bottom? I'm wondering if surface currents will cause me to drift far.

What should I consider for safetying another diver that's different for low visibility in lakes?

Anything else you can add to this would be appreciated.

Conditions for lake diving depend on the lake and the conditions just like any other diving. I've had zero vis to 40ft vis diving different lakes. The biggest difference is the thermocline and it gets dark fast. The biggest safety concern is other boats and jet skis. There is really no current so there is no need to anchor your float. Always check regulations for your areas because they can vary lake to lake.

Reactions: Andrew702
So even with wind my buoy won't move a lot on the surface? In low visibility will I need a dive light to see the rope? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If your line is not anchored but there is a wind, then yes the line will slowly drift with the wind. It's pretty slow. The problem I encountered once was that the line drifted into shallower water and we kept having to move it back out to deeper water.

Andrew, head lamp is a must. In complete darkness it is really easy to get disorientated during ascent in CNF or CWT, which results in swimming at an angle to the rope which creates a lot of drag. I once forgot to turn my light on during such dive, the ascent was a nightmare I almost panicked. In addition, light will make you easily visible to a safety diver. The bottom light is also a very good idea, it will make you feel more safe and helps in case of any problems during a turn.

The buoy should be definitely anchored, bottom weight should be at least 5 meters above the bottom. To let the line drift freely is not a good idea. You may end up on shallows, drift to some obstacles etc. You never know what is down there. In addition, drifting line can collect lost nets or other lines. During my training dives in a lake I use a separate buoy (a 5L plastic bottle) attached to a thin line with 5kg weight. I put the weight on the bottom and than anchor my freediving buoy to it.

Beeing a safety in low vis is a challenge, you can loose the rope out of sight easily and you will spot the diver when he almost hits you. If the visibility is lower than 2m, deep safteying is practically impossible. In such conditions only surface assistance can be provided.

I have not dove to much depth in the lake where I live yet, but the thermocline is very sharp at 10m if not less. In general, are there multiple thermoclines or is it more gradual past the first one? Where I practice there are buoys for people to tie there boats off a little ways off the shore, conveniently there are multiple large ecoblocks with loops and chains at varying depths unused to attach floats and stuff to. Does a glow stick offer good visibility of a diver or is a powered light significantly better?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT