• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

considering doing a course......

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

guide1

Jul 18, 2004
hi,
im considering doing a scuba course and im completly new to scuba diving,although i have been freediving ever since i can remember (18yo now) im in australia (if that makes a diff) but im not sure how much id be going scuba diving (i freedive/spearfish at every opportunity)do you have to buy gear for the course?can you hire stuff cheaply after/ if i pass the course?whats an average dive cost to go like 3klms offshore? whats the stuff they look at when you go for your medical?what should i look for when selecting a course/instructing shop?

thankyou for reading

Your going to find being underwater on SCUBA very noisy!!!

Seriously though, the first thing to do is to choose which agancy you want to train with. I am with PADI, but I have used SSI, I also believe that NAUI are very big in Australia as well. There is not a lot to choose between them, and all the cards will be accepted anywhere else, although on a global basis, PADI are the biggest.

The first 'proper' course, is Open water, takes about 4 days, and involves the following (for PADI)

*Self study - they give you the book to keep and a set of videos to borrow, you go home read and watch, do 5 knowledge revies at the end of each chapter
*classroom sessions - go over any knowledge revies you had problems with, cutting down classroom time. Then take 4 quizzes and a multiple guess (I mean choice!) final exam
*5 pool sessions (confined water)
*4 Open water dives.

You then get you ID card. Kit hire is generally provided in the course fee, and some shops offer discounts on kit hire/purchase for a period after the course.

I am not sure of dive prices in Aust.

In the medical, they check you over for general fitness, including, but not limited to, heart, lungs, ears, sinuses, reflexes etc.
Check out this link for PADI's medical statement as well as their guidelines for doctors carrying out exams - PADI medical statement .

As for dive centres, follow this link dive centre search . When you have choses one, go down there, have a look around, ask questions. If you feel thay are a shoddy operation, or very unprofessional, take your business elsewhere. They will explain more about the course to you, as well as fees, timings, transport arrangements to dive sites etc.

I hope that has provided some help for you

it has thankyou basically im getting given 800$ to do any course so once ive completed the "open water course" i can dive where ever without a instructer?will i have gained enough knowledge to go out and dive other places? like the greatbarrier reef? would i still need a instructer?

The standards roughly say, and this is off the top of my head;

You are qualified to dive without supervision, but with another qualified diver, in conditions better than or equal to those you have trained in.

IE not deeper than 18m, no super fast drift dives, no wreck penetration. I think in general, most dives are guided, just about anywhere you dive, and as such the guide will fully understand the limitations of having an entry level qualification.

Its said by almost every instructor on earth, that passing the course is like passing your driving test, you have met a minimum required standard, but you still have a lot to learn. Diving in different places will give you lots of experience, as will diving with different people. Everyone has their own likes, dislikes and style of diving.

I would say that if you have the cash left over, then do the advanced open water (AOW) course. In it, you do 2 core dives (deep and navigation) and 3 elective (choose from wreck, drift, boat, photography etc.). It is all done under the supervision of an instructor, and give you a little taster of the many different aspects diving has to offer. Boat operators will then allow you to do some deeper dives (down to 30m). Cynical people say it is also a good value way of getting 5 dives.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT