• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Constant under ice...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
:)
hope you can see the picture ...

Attachments

• Icehockey.JPG
    Icehockey.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 148
Nice picture Chris! :)

I have,some nice-ice pictures too!

-I`ve recived information,that kike is plannig to do his dive on Thur.

Yesterday and today was impossible to dive,because of a huge storm there.Polar wind is blowing...temp. -40 C.

hello Domagoj

My 54m under ice is not official... but I do have witness.(soo no result less than 54m will go in as a an unofficial WR in this event on apneamania, and i will not publish any record before someone have done a confirm 55+)

...more importent is that this is not an official-discipline and there is no rules that regulate, and no judges to confirm. But if you want, a can come as a judge to confirm the result if you/or someone do it the "AIDA-WAY".

On Apneamania you will find the result under "special records" ...and it will soon have it's own "special category".

But remember, this is NOT an official category inside of AIDA-FREE-CMAS or IAFD. ...but I will publish the best result we know on apneamania. In the beginning we can call it Spectacular or Amazing Apnea :wave

best regards
Bill

Hi Bill,everything understood.I know that Ice freediving is only a performance discipline.

-Kike made yesterday 51.2 under Ice on the N. Pole.

I didn't know there are so many Croatians that knows about this forum! :)
I touht I'm the only one who thinks that Kike's stories are a bit ... hm.... PRETJERANE!...(someone please translate that :) )
I know that not everyone can do ice freediving, especialy to 50+m but I lost pretty much respect for him after all those announcments and archiving nothing...

PS.
Ambra, kako napreduje stranica?

off course that there is a lot of us croatians.....and translation off the kike is :the man that announce.... he is king of announcments
... respect.....and dive4ever

i read that kike dived in a norwegen lake not on the n-pol??!!??
the lake is called "Djupvatnet" ...
and he dived without a mask!

Yeah,but it was last year .He made several dives i Norway for the past 4 years,and now he is on The North Pole for another record dive.
The last "Norway" dive was 5o m - 4.4.2004,Djupvatnet.
p.s. he had Cressi-Minima mask.

stay deep!

Chris said:
i read that kike dived in a norwegen lake not on the n-pol??!!??
the lake is called "Djupvatnet" ...
and he dived without a mask!

that wos long time ago...
kikes newest dive was on n-pole

In the topic of cold water dives, today in Vancouver the water at the surface was 15C; just under the surface it was 10C; at 30m it was about 8C, and over 50m it was about 6C. I managed 80.5m in 3'05" with no wetsuit. It was also the deepest I've gone with the new F1 computer. Descent time was 1'50", ascent time was 1'15". I shivered for about 1/2 hour after I got out.

I used my custom waterway mono, a sphera mask, an 1800g weight belt, and a swim cap, and lanyard.

Reactions: DeepThought
Amazing,you were always talking that is possible to freedive without a wetsuit in really cold/freezing conditions with little/no heat insulation. :wave

-what about your preparation before the dive-usual as you always doing?
surface time?

-concetration? heart rate?compensation?

------------------

regards!

Eric,

can you give more details please?:

how many build-up dives have you done in recent weeks to reach this depth?

is this the first time you've been 80+ since 2001? congrats!

how long were you immersed before you began the dive? were you shivering before the dive? did you feel tense due to the cold?

what was your "warm-up"? (!)

did you really need to wear all that weight? didn't you wear 1700g in 2001, and you thought you were overweighted then.

you have a very long descent- am i right in thinking that you sank very early in the dive?

why a weight belt and not a neck weight?

was the dive "clean"? how much more do you think you could do?

i assume this was a normal full lung dive with packing?

at what depth did you reach terminal velocity- and what was it?

it seems the waters in Canada are generally warmer than it is here. only last week the surface temperature was 7C. it's suddenly jumped to 10C. 15C is more or less mid-summer conditions for us.

tell us more about the advantages of diving with no-suit.

...and i thought 76m in 15C was pretty deep ;)

sorry for all the questions, this is what you get for diving 80m with no suit!

More info:
- I hadn't done any deep dives since my no-suit dive at Nationals last June (74.5m 2'45")
- In fact I hadn't dove at all, except for once a weekend for three weekends, recreational diving to a max of 38m (with wetsuit)
- I hadn't done any dry land training except 20 consecutive days of intensive pranayama and chi-gong (2-3hrs a day)
- After this intensive yoga/chi-gong streak, I attempted my first dry static, and made 7'22" on the first attempt
- I did a 'squat test' to check the stored energy in my legs and got 21, more than enough for a deep dive
- I figured I was ready for some deep dives so I registered for the local regional competition, which meant I had to practice
- I got into the inflatable boat, and my girlfriend paddled us out to the line
- I did one dry static to 2'30" in the boat, doing a little bit of packing to stretch during the static
- Then I got into the water and connected my lanyard
- In 15C water I cannot relax; in 8C water I can relax because my body goes 'numb'; in 19C+ I can also relax because it is warmer; in 11-17C I can't relax
- I tried to relax for 1 minute, no success
- Then Pete started my 2 minute countdown (no warmup dives)
- To make the dive MUCH safer, I deliberately over-ventilated at the surface, to get rid of all the CO2, which almost eliminates the narcosis; this increases the risk of a samba/BO at the end of the dive, but makes the deep part much safer when diving with only a lanyard and safety freedivers
- The plan is to change the breathe-up to a much less aggressive breathe-up during the competition when there is deep water safety
- I felt a slight tingle in my fingers, which I would NEVER want in a competition; I knew with a tingle in my fingers before the dive, I was DRASTICALLY increasing my risk of a samba/BO, but it would reduce the narcosis; this is especially important when diving without a suit in cold water, since the extreme vasoconstriction drastically reduces the body's ability to store and buffer CO2; as a result, failure to breathe sufficiently before a no-suit dive in cold water can result in a blackout at the bottom from CO2 toxicity; all the more reason to hyperventilate before the dive

- At top time, I packed and started the dive
- I hit the first thermocline at about 3-4m
- I tried to sink at 17m but I was only moving at 0.5m/s according to the F1
- So I did some small kicks until 30m and then sank from 30m
- The last time I looked at the F1 was at 28m just before my mouthfill at 30m
- Once I had entered the 8C zone I became extremely relaxed because of my numb skin, and the descent was very fun and pleasant, although it was the longest descent ever 1'50" (previously it took me 1'35" to reach 88m in 2001)
- I was actually aiming for 70m but we screwed up the markers on the line
- It seemed to take a very long time to reach the light at the bottom; I'd say my terminal velocity was around 0.70 - 0.75 m/s
- On the ascent, I expected 57-60 strokes to get up from 70m
- I had very little narcosis due to the aggressive breathe-up
- I reached my first safety freediver at 30m and I was almost at 60 strokes
- Soon after, I counted 60 strokes, but the surface was still far and my legs were finally getting tired; I couldn't understand why it was taking so many strokes to get up from 70m
- Then I reached my 2nd safety freediver and by then I lost count of the strokes
- I could tell in the last 30m that I was super hypocapnic due to the deliberate aggressive breathe-up, and I expected a shake on the surface
- I got to the surface with a short shake (also my brain does not have tolerance to low oxygen due to the lack of apnea training)

I checked the F1 and saw 80.5m, ten more meters than we had planned. However, I think it would have been a much better/easier dive with less breathing before hand. Regardless, I was only going to announce 72m for the competition.

Anyway, considering I hadn't done any dive-specific training or any deep dives since last summer I was pretty happy.

I was using a mask and weight belt to simulate the competition, because the new AIDA rules are not yet in effect.

Last summer (August/September) I was doing so much apnea hiking that my recreational dives were over 3'00" (around 20m, while actively swimming). Since then I have lost that 'apnea-exercise' fitness. In the last 3 weeks my recreational dives have only been max 2'00" (also at 20m while swimming). This shows I am in crappy apnea shape compared to last summer/fall.

thanks for the info

wow...

going from a few shallow dives to 80m (or even 70m as you planned) takes some balls! i'm amazed you got your rope depth markings so spectacularly wrong. i bet you won't make that mistake again! :)

despite your small samba this for me is one of the most impressive CW performances i've ever heard of. well done. keep us posted with your progress.

Eric - what type of Qigong are you doing? In fact I'd be interested in your complete regime if you've the inclination. PM if you want.

-nice work!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT