• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

contractions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

blues_diver

Pinoy Deeper Blue Member
Jun 7, 2002
hi guys,

sorry if this is a dumb ass question, even for a newbie.
what are contractions and how are they counted?
thanks!

Poeh,.....

About the couting, normally in the west we count from 1 upwards.....like: 1..2..3..4..5..6 and so on.:D :D :D :D

Originally posted by blues_diver
hi guys,

sorry if this is a dumb ass question, even for a newbie.
what are contractions and how are they counted?
thanks!

Hi BD, no worries :)
If you can hold your breath long enough to resist the temptation to breath, then (most of us) you may have involuntary diaphragmatic/abdominal contractions as your body attempts to regain control of the breathing. More advanced fdivers know approximately how many contractions they can sustain in a particular situation before they lose consciousness.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

a further question on contractions

hi to all...

As we talk about contractions I wonder whether one need to start to return to the surface immediately as the first contractions begin (The depths I am talking about is between 15-20 meters). I can guess that the answer depends on how advanced and fit a freediver is, but for a recreational freediver like me, whose max. depth is 20 m, there may be an approximate answer
for how far to push the contraction limits. A second thing is how to improve the bottom time before contractions start. And independently from regular pool and sea trainings to improve our aquatic potential, is there a way to ignore or stop contractions for a while just by pure will power or psychological relaxation?

Thanks in advance

pim: hehehe, i guess i had that little comment coming. i figured that contractions are the urge to breathe during apenea. i get them already at 3 mins (dry static), but i read here and there that some of you guys are able to count the number of times they kick. the way i feel them is like one straight uninterupted bad ass urge! reason why i asked why some people are able to count them.

erik: so i take it that these "countable" contractions only happens to advanced fdivers. i still have a long way to before i get there, was just wondering anyhows. thanks for the insightful reply!

arbati: since a lot of freedivers are into yoga that perhaps could be one way of ignoring contractions. i dont know if its possible to stop them, but i think we can only prolong the tolerance. i used to stare at my watch while i time myself when i do statics. i found out that i am more able to go further my best times when i dont, not being conscious of the passing time helps me ignore the urge to breathe sooner. i think about the bills i have to pay, the over due reports i have to make, and things like that. doesn't relax me but it sure gets my mind of the contraction! hehehe.

dive safely guys!

I seem to get the one urge that I need to constantly fight too. Currently my best time is 3 minutes, and the urge kicks in at around about 2 minutes on a good attempt, but sometimes at around 1:30.
Is this just a case of me not being particularly tolerant to the CO2 currently, and will this improve with practice, or is it likely to be something I'm just stuck with?

Thanks,
Matt

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT