• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Contractions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

k-gull

Mar 23, 2004
Do you guys seriously fight off the urge to breath and contractions for several minutes? I can only seem to last for at the most 8-10 contractions. Got any tips on lasting longer (get your mind out of the gutter, I'm talking about holding my breath here).

k-gull

Reactions: jodyfreedive
Hi there!
Yes, most of us eventually get to the point where we have to fight those contractions. Today I lasted 1:30 the most. I think I have done about 2:30 or even more sometime in the past, but not in shape right now. I heard of people fighting 4 minutes of those.:duh

My advises:
Try to delay them as much as possible, by noticing how the tension is building in your diaphram and try to make it soft before it builds enough to become a contraction. It's not supposed to prevent them, but buys you a few more seconds everytime.
and when the contraction finally come - ride it. I'm not sure how to explain it, but try to make it slow and go with it.

This way I can have more time between contractions and therefore less total contractions. Sometimes it works, sometime it doesn't. It's a matter of traning at the end. Also, the more you train, and the more CO2 tolerance you build, they will come later.

Good luck.

I can vouch for the idea of delaying the contractions. Previously, my PB was just over 5:00 with contractions starting like clockwork at 2:30. This was frustrating :vangry when I knew others never got them at all.

After reading some comments in here, I realized that it's possible to consciously delay the contractions. I was surprised by how much it helped: trying to delay them on an incremental warmup (like the O2 tables) immediately enabled me to delay them until after 4:30, making a 6 min static possible.

Instead of caving in to the temptation of the first contraction, I allow a "welling up" of internal pressure instead. At some point, the pressure feels enough, and I allow it to start. Once they've started, I let them happen unrestrained. :mute

However, I still haven't figured out the best way to reduce the amount of time needed to get to the "warmed up" state...

Good luck!

Last edited:
Well I'm able to control my contractions a little more now, and that combined with doing the training tables I've gone from a max static of 2:30 to 3:30.

contractions are something to be greatly enjoyed i pushed through 31 with no air in my lungs last night(empty lung static) i can do even more on full lungs. i'm gonna get better too.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…