• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Contractions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

k-gull

Mar 23, 2004
Do you guys seriously fight off the urge to breath and contractions for several minutes? I can only seem to last for at the most 8-10 contractions. Got any tips on lasting longer (get your mind out of the gutter, I'm talking about holding my breath here).

k-gull

Reactions: jodyfreedive
Hi there!
Yes, most of us eventually get to the point where we have to fight those contractions. Today I lasted 1:30 the most. I think I have done about 2:30 or even more sometime in the past, but not in shape right now. I heard of people fighting 4 minutes of those.:duh

My advises:
Try to delay them as much as possible, by noticing how the tension is building in your diaphram and try to make it soft before it builds enough to become a contraction. It's not supposed to prevent them, but buys you a few more seconds everytime.
and when the contraction finally come - ride it. I'm not sure how to explain it, but try to make it slow and go with it.

This way I can have more time between contractions and therefore less total contractions. Sometimes it works, sometime it doesn't. It's a matter of traning at the end. Also, the more you train, and the more CO2 tolerance you build, they will come later.

Good luck.:)

I can vouch for the idea of delaying the contractions. Previously, my PB was just over 5:00 with contractions starting like clockwork at 2:30. This was frustrating :vangry when I knew others never got them at all.

After reading some comments in here, I realized that it's possible to consciously delay the contractions. I was surprised by how much it helped: trying to delay them on an incremental warmup (like the O2 tables) immediately enabled me to delay them until after 4:30, making a 6 min static possible.

Instead of caving in to the temptation of the first contraction, I allow a "welling up" of internal pressure instead. At some point, the pressure feels enough, and I allow it to start. Once they've started, I let them happen unrestrained. :mute

However, I still haven't figured out the best way to reduce the amount of time needed to get to the "warmed up" state...

Good luck!

Last edited:
Well I'm able to control my contractions a little more now, and that combined with doing the training tables I've gone from a max static of 2:30 to 3:30.

contractions are something to be greatly enjoyed i pushed through 31 with no air in my lungs last night(empty lung static) i can do even more on full lungs. i'm gonna get better too.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT