• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Converting a Riffe

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Roan

Deeper Blue Wayfarer
Jul 12, 2003
I'm currently shooting a Riffe Comp 2 with one wrap of shooting line. I'd like to be able to convert it to a two wrap shooting line (and a third band, I suppose) the morning of a dive. I was thinking of doing it this way: By purchasing a second shaft with the longer shooting line aready rigged (or doing it myself). My question is, where is the best (easiest, quickest) point in the set-up to remove it from the gun? At the dacron loop of the bungie-shock-chord from the line anchor (by loosening the girth hitch)? Or does the shock chord stay on the gun and you slide the (crimped termination loop) shooting line around and off the pigtail of the swivel clip that is at the other end of the bungie-shock-chord?

Also, what I should do in order to power the longer shooting distance: add a third 9/16 band or go to two 5/8 bands?

With my Competitor #3XS and Metal Tech #1 and #1's (11 yr. old son) Comp #2S I leave the shock cord on the gun and remove the shaft line from the pigtail. That's what it's for. According to Riffe their 9/16" bands have 80 lbs. pull, the 5/8" bands, 100 lbs. Band strength being cumulative, three 9/16" will give you 240 lbs., two 5/8" will give you 200. I use three 9/16" on the #3XS and the #2S, unless #1 is using the #2, then I put three 1/2" bands on for him so he doesn't have to struggle with it as much. With both these guns we use two wraps of shaft line and 5/16" threaded shafts or 9/32" Hawaiian shafts in the stock lengths. Just depends what we plan on doing that trip. On the MT #1, I use two 9/16" bands, 9/32" Hawaiian shaft and two wraps of shaft line but I could probably use one wrap and be fine. It's my mullet and night gun so I don't need as much range or power.:)

Roan-
I have the exact same set-up. When shooting around the jetty for smaller fish, I use 2x9/16" bands and a single wrap. I have two of these shafts rigged...one is a standard tahitian and the other is threaded. I use a cheap $5 biller tip around the rocks, and replace it every once in a while, rather than smashing up an expensive shaft. I have two heavier shafts as well rigged with double wraps, one of which is affixed to a breakaway. I always add a 3rd 9/16" band when using the heavier shafts.
I simply use the pigtail on the bungy to switch shooting lines/shafts. As for the double wrap, the second wrap is pulled around the line anchor where the bungy attaches. I have also thought about replacing the pigtail with a heavy duty snap swivel. The pigtail can be a pain in the @$$! Especially when the shooting line needs to be unclipped to pull a shaft through a fish in the water or on the boat.
I have had this set-up for 4 years now and it has worked flawlessly. I have several other "sexier" guns now that I use more often. But if i could only keep one of my guns this would be the one. I currently use it most often around the jetty...it is quiet, and I can beat the crap out of it on the rocks. It has also come into favor while hunting grouper. Our grouper are usually found in 80-100'+ so it's size makes it easy to dive deep with...more importantly it's shorter thicker shafts don't get pretzeled very often. These grouper have a habit of tying my euro shafts in knots...But I'm beginning to ramble now.

Let me know if you have any more questions--
Matt

Reactions: icarus pacific
Hey Mattedhead,

When it's necessary to pull a shaft through a fish, rather than unclip the line, I have found it easier to run the shaft all the way through, so the fish is on the line, then turn the shaft around and stick it point first back through the same hole.:)

Yeah that usually works...I've had problems with cobia though. Once it goes through their concretelike head, there's only one way it's coming out! I try not to unclip my shaft unless I have to...I've seen a few friends drop their shafts into the abyss!

Matt

Thanks for your replys, guys. Lots of helpful info! :)
Matt, sounds like you're getting the most out of your Comp 2! I geuss I'll get the 48" 5/16 threaded shaft with two wraps and what, a medium or large two-barbed tip? That's a good idea about picking up a couple cheapie tips as well.

Just curious: What is it that determines when you need to go to a thicker shaft? Is it the "balistics" of more band power hurling a shaft further (a thinner one might flop or shake)? Or is it simply a matter of figuring the larger fish you might shoot are more likely to mangle a spear in a hole, or kelp or on a rig?

Gotta run, I think I hear my phone ringing (must be Daryl W. calling to discuss my upcoming 55" hybrid!):D

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT