• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Corfu,Greece

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

popac

Mar 7, 2004
Hi,
I'm going to the island of Corfu,Greece in august and i was wondering can anybody give me some tips about the hunting over there like locations for example.I've been there 6-7 yrs ago and i remember some very nice dive spots,very fishy spots just off shore on the western side of the island,Paleokastritsa more accuratly.I was also wondering about the rules for spearfishing in Greece,do i need a licence to hunt in Greece?

Thanx,Alex

I don't know if you are still interested, but i live in corfu and indeed Paleokastritsa is a great place for marine life and spearfishing! There haven't been any spearfishing licenses in Greece for like 2 or 3 years now because spearfishing has stopped being considered "fishing", and now is considered as a "past time" and "hobby" by the laws now. So no licenses exist anymore, grab your speargun and go fishing ! However while there are not licenses the laws still active regarding equipment, minimum fish size, distance from shore and time of day. Spearfishing wih scuba gear is illegal, you have to be atleast 100 from shore where are people swimming and you can fish from dawn to dusk, night spearfishing is illegal and you have to use a flashlight<500 lumens if you want f a flashlight for checking holes! Happy spearfishing!

Reactions: Zitras and Light
Hi everyone.i am presently at Corfu.yestorday went for spearfishing with rented boat.i was at spot which is approximately in the middle of straight between Corfu and Albania.some tme later coast guard boat approached me.they told me : 1.i can not dive alone,only with somebody 2.i can not dive this place becouse not far from here ferryes passing time to time 3.most strange fir me was to hear from them- I CAN NOT USE RENTED BOAT FOR FISHING.

Anyone here familiar with rules and can give proper comments on their statements?

Regarding diving alone i was sure it is kind of safety reccomendation butnot obligation.on the statement n.2 i presume if there is such rule there must be somehow certain distance stated otherwise " not far from here" can be too much unclear and leave large room for speculations.most interesting part is regarding rented boat use.i can only guess it can not be truth and possibly they are mixing spearfishing with commercial fishing by nets or any other similar kind of gear.appreciate to have comments

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT