• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cornwall/Kernow 2015

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

SurfnSpear

At the beach!
May 24, 2005
Just getting some kit renewed and soon be back in the current...anyone been in marking lobbie holes and practising their 3 bass limit by not finding 1 yet? ;)

All quiet Brett on the Bass front. Catching on rod n line though. Just been keeping the plaice population in check

Nick, I haven't caught up with you in ages so hope to catch up with you this year hopefully, maybe do a pair dive at that place I saw those special things we talked about. Got a trip the other side of the A30 to Norway booked later on so I can go banter Jon boy hopefully with a bigger halibut than him ;)

Reactions: shiny1
We will have to do that. I really need to make more time this season to dive. Since I started working full time fishing I never have time to dive. My best time for fishing is peak time for diving but I am always so tired when I have time off. No comps this year or LIC pairs dive so will make time for a few dives. I did make time last year when I knew the sea chickens were in and had 14 on the first dive. Who needs bass when you have the chickens of the sea?

Reactions: SurfnSpear
Popped in Gwithian way a few days ago, v patchy and viz 2-3m Max.

Got in on the south coast yesterday, viz was pretty good but nothing silver to be seen. Did come across a sea urchin, only second time I've seen them around.

Hat trick before breakfast yesterday.

Attachments

• Hat trick.jpeg
    Hat trick.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 259
Hi guys,

Used to be an avid reader (not posting) of this forum and got back into spearing down in Cornwall recently after several years of being on distant shores. So far I have to say I'm struck by the lack of fish in general? I used to not be able to get away from the wrasse and pollock, but they seem conspicuously absent at the moment?

Anyway, I had a dive at Porthallow on Friday just after high tide. Visibility was OK to good, 3-5m in places but murky elsewhere. Quite a strong current running to the south-end of the beach. As I said, very surprised at the lack of fish in general, saw one undersized bass, minimal pollock and wrasse, plenty of baitfish though. Oh and absolute millions of these buggers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aequorea_victoria It took me a bit of time to find out the species, they seem to be quite rare in the UK but it was definitely this species as it's got a weird tube or something hanging from the centre of the bell (looks a-symmetric looking from the top). They're a bugger as they produce a light stingy nettle-like sting on exposed skin (i.e. mouth) and they have the same bluish-silvery colour as bass/mullet in the distance. From reading up on them, it seems they're bioluminescent so it could be a really cool night-dive?

For anyone wanting to join us in Guernsey for the 4th Annual DeeperBlue Meet, I have a spare space in my car. Jen (my fiancee) cant make it this year but I have already paid for her ticket.
I will be leaving Poole on Wed 29th morning and returning on Monday 3rd August, leaving Guernsey in the afternoon. If anyone wants to join me, let me know and I can change the name on the ticket and pick you up en-route from Plymouth or meet you at Poole.
You'll have to organise your own camping, but I can help with lifts to and from the dive sites for the comps on Sat and Sun.

Hi, I'm visiting Cornwall for a 2 week holiday 14-30 of August, will bring my spearfishing gear and a sit on top kayak,
would love to join local spearfishers; I have a fair amount of experience (but, except for Jersey, all of it outside of the UK). PM me if you think you might go for a dive in that time, happy to drive some miles. Would also appreciate any pointers on where to head (figured lands end and the lizard, and then to go by swell and conditions ...) Will get a UK Simcard closer to thhe time, too, so communication should be easy. Cheers!

was snorkelling in polzeath last week. had a shoal of schoolies swim around me. anyone fish from portquin or port izaac?

Picture taken by my dive buddy Pete who was diving near St Ives on a environmental study. Shoal of 100+, but he wasn't allowed to take his gun in with him!
11108665_10153470495070420_5439657979970755645_n.jpg

Reactions: westcoaster
eerily quiet here

I got in on Saturday on the lizard and had a nice grey mullet of around 3lbs
missed a couple of others

This spot was stuffed with fish last year, but its still so cold now! I didnt have my dive computer on me but I'd guess water was still only 14-15°

Something odd going on, dont like it at all

Heya, moderately experienced spearo, will be up in Porthcurno from 15-27, would be glad to go fish aroung St Ives or the Lizard with anyone on the area; drop me a text closer to time if you want to buddy up: +447523235223
Cheers!

Am up near the Arctic Circle in Norway and last day today after 9 days trip and found it surprisingly similar ground to Cornwall. Just with cod everywhere!
Unfortunately missed out on halibut but 2 taken by boat mates. Prepped for uk winter now.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 193
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT