• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Corona's positive ecological side-effect

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Leander

Oct 17, 2017
A friend just told me that dolphins were spotted in the port Cagliary and the canals of Venice are becoming clear as the water is receiving a lot less pollution and traffic due to the corona quarantine. I'm not sure how much of this is true, but it's certain that pollution levels are much lower now. China reported to have 20% less nitrogen greenhouse gasses, and I'm sure Europe is seeing a lot better air quality as well (Euros like their cars...).

Greece is afraid the tourist season is going to be bad; the minister is still optimistic (or naive) as he believes we all crawl back into overcrowded airplanes full of coughing people and also missed that the people in quarantined countries are now burning up their hard-earned holiday-money.

So for Greece's sea this virus might actually be very beneficial. One summer without 5 million tourists per day asking (demanding) for fresh fish can rebounce fish stocks quite a lot. This is just one example of nature getting a break. Many more examples could be listed here.

- What are your opinions/forecasts on this? How about the other countries?
- How can we use this in our advantage, as (free-)divers and as world, both ecological and economical?
- ...?

Last edited:
It looks like the fish are going to catch a break. Surely thats a good thing. However, its not likely to be long enough to do major good, at least for the species I'm interested in. Most of them are long lived and the populations are very depressed by too much fishing for too long. You might see some nice but limited and short term increases in abundance after this mess has passed. Same kind of thing you see on opening day, follow by a fast reduction in abundance. Enjoy it if it happens.

Personally I'm not interested in this because 'maybe we can shoot more groupers in the face'. I hunt for food, not sport, and as long as there is lionfish around here I eat lionfish. The only use my speargun sees at the moment is for hunting some rabbitfish, another invasive and damaging species around here.

But I hope that should the positive effect of this on nature be visible, that we will learn from it. I'm afraid we don't. That's why right now this should be discussed everywhere, as when this is over we all go back to buying crap we don't need and working jobs we hate and we would have missed a great oppertunity.

Another example of how this situation is teaching us alternatives to our normally very damaging lifestyle is the work-from-home a lot of people are doing at the moment. My brother works on a university and now teaches his classes using skype. He told me it's actually going *really* well, while a months earlier he was part of the voice saying that remote teaching would be nearly impossible.

I imagine the first week of a world without oil would look not much different than this. So we're getting a free training here.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT