• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Correlations between pool training and ocean diving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

gerard

Oct 3, 2002
Hello again!

I basically train in the pool being my ocean dives very limited due to professional constraints. My question is if it is possible to translate pool diving horizontally into ocean diving vertically, let's say for example that 2 meters in the pool equals 0.5 m in the ocean.

Knowing that will keep my motivation up and the reality of my training.

Thanks in advance guys, gerard.

I don't think so

I don't think so. According to my expierence, the only way to train deep freediving, is by doing deep freediving.

In the pool, your body will not get used to the pressure that is present at greater depths. So you are not able to train your equalizing methods. There is also a psycological aspect that is not present in the pool.

I also think (although I am not very much into this), that the pressure of the deep dives triggers your diving reflex, perhaps someone else can explain further.

Dive save
Jesper

Hi Gerard,

Jesper is right to a degree in that dynamic training in the pool isn't the same as doing a constant ballast dive. I train doing simulations of a 25m dynamic (simulates kick down) a 0:30 to 1:00 static (simulates freefall) then a dynamic of 50m+- (simulates ascent). You don't get the blood shunt, bradycardia (slowing of the heart) and spleen sqeeze from the pressure as you do in a deep dive. PLEASE HAVE A BUDDY WHILE TRYING THIS TYPE OF TRAINING!

You can however simulate a dive in the deep end of the pool by doing negative pressure dives. I HIGHLY SUGGEST DOING THESE WITH A BUDDY AS WELL! This will allow you to feel what its like at depths of excess of 30m or 100ft. This will help in learning how to equalize at those depths.

disclaimer
THESE ARE MY OWN TRAINING METHODS AND MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR EVERYONE!

DSV

Not the same, but some

Hola,
I agree with DSV, isn't the same but for some, (including me) is the only way. I make more or less the same training, I found very useful the empty lung dives mainly in keeping my thorax flexible. I didn't make deep dives for a year, and when I got back to the sea I made easily 38 the first day.
There is a rule to translate dynamic to CW but I don't think is completely accurate.
The most important for me is thinking that if I can make 100 in dynamic I'm able to do 50 in CW.
It's important to believe in what we can do.
Anyway the best CW training is CW, so try to schedule a trip to the ocean or a lake, to test your improvement.
As DSV told you, that pool exercises are dangerous so keep a buddy with you.

Correlations.

I cant help noticing having a loose correlation between static, constant and dynamic numerically speaking ..

5 min static / 50 m constant ( 100 linear meters )/ 100 m dynamic ( 100 linear meters)

We even seem to refer to our goals or performances as 'the fives' or mid fives etc.

This pattern has followed us since the beginning. 3min / 30m / 60m dynamic.

The top records seem to follow it too. 8 min / 80 m / 160 dynamic odd...?

Loosely i said :)

Skindiver

Thanks DSV

Can you explain me what are negative pressure dives? I might train them in the pool too.

Thanks in advance mate.

Regards, gerard.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT