• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

coughing problem

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

primoz kosak

Jul 21, 2001
When I don't dive some time or when I start diving in the spring the coughing problem is really angry me.
I'm a freediver with a lung capacity around five liters. When I dive below 20m then after few similar dives I start to cough and with coughing come some yellow spittle.
Maybe i start too fast with too deep dives when the lungs are not prepared on greater pressure?

Hi Primoz,

You don't seem to be getting much of a response from this crew. If after a few days you still do not anything you might want to contact the Divers Alert Network, they mostly focus on diving related medical issues. Their home page is: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/. At the bottom of the page is a place to contact them directly. I have bounced a number of freedive related questions off of them and they are very responsive and helpful.

Best wishes,

Freediver48

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have a look

Hi,

I'll contact some people I know in DAN who might be able to point us in the right direction. If you do find out anything please post to this thread...

Thank's to freediver48 and Stephan for their help about my question.
My english is not so good because it's been a long time when I study it, so please you must look through the fingers regarding my grammar.
JERO, also a depper blue member (my country neighbour) yust explain me what it may be wrong.

First, may be that lungs bubbles are not so elastic and when the pressure increase, they allow some blood to leave in lungs.

Second, most probable, is that chest volume, when the pressure increase, isn't compress the similar way like lungs (lungs get more compress, because the chest are not so flexible) and there become underpressure in the chest area and the respiratory organs may be irritable.

Uff, my english.....

Contact DAN

Primoz,

I've had a response from the Diver Alert Network (DAN) which is:
Dear Stephan,

Have your member contact me directly with his concern and I will do my best to answer it. Coughing and breath hold diving is not that unusual. I would have to know the specifics before I could comment. The issues might be different for someone who has just started than for a diver who has been going at it for awhile.

Joel Dovenbarger BSN
Vice President of Medical Services

So, you can contact Joel at jdovenbarger@dan.duke.edu

Hi Primoz, I must tell you that I go through something similar if i don't dive deep for a while. It might be just fluids getting spit out, but there is a point where it can become blood.
I entered a competition without being able to train to my prescribed depth, or even a depth close to what I wanted to hit. Where I live, the deepest I can dive is in a lake at 26 metres. After the competition, where I dove to 46 metres (and blacked out by the way), I was spitting blood for a week. The next day, I did a good static though, and I was running 10 km 2 days later, so I don't think it was that serious.
I would advise working slowly up to depth, especially if you have been out of the water for a while.
Hope that helps (misery loves company),
Erik Y.
ps, your English is better than some English speakers I've met ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT