• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Coughing up blood!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Brian Hamilton

Subsea Sniper
Jun 15, 2003
Today me and my dive buddy Andy were diving to 15.5 metres, total dive time about 1 min 10 secs.

Andy did 2 dives to the bottom. He also dived the day before to the same depth and duration 4 or 5 times.

After his 2 dives today he began to cough up phlegm which contained small amounts of oxygenated blood. He immediately stopped diving and it stopped after about half an hour. Andy had been suffering from a mild cold about a week before, he had also done two 5 mile runs in the last 3 days.

He dives to the above depth and duration on a regular basis (at least twice per week) and has a static apnea time of 4 min 24 secs.

Does anyone have any idea why this happened or has suffered similar effects?

PS - We need help to stop this. Apart from jacking my heart rate up it looked pretty disgusting.

Hey Brian.

Just one question. When you said, he began to cough up phlegm which contained small amounts of oxygenated blood, did he get the blood from his lungs or from his sinus? Also was it painful? It it was where was the pain coming from? Was it coming from his sinus, behind his eyes for example or from his lungs?

I've had a pretty bad sinus squeeze, where air gets trapped between your sinus cavity and will not equalize, pretty common if you have a cold. You may be equalizing your ears but you will experience pain that gets sharper as you increase depth.

I was spitting blood nearly everyday for 3 weeks. :waterwork It was very flustrating because the sinus got infected. My ears will not always equalize. Some times I would prepare for a deep dive with 7 min breath up, only to have my ears clogged at 3 meters:duh

I'm not sure if it's the sinus or not but if it is I highly recommend you read the thread "felt like my eye was going to pop and now I'm spitting blood.. why?". It's under freedive techniques. http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?threadid=35718

Some experts gave me awesome explanations.

I know how it feels to be spitting blood. Totally freaked me out. But it's my fault for not respecting the ocean.

I hope the bleeding stops and he heals quickly.

My best to Andy.

Hi i have experienced same problems when i were in similan islands , Thailand on a 10 days diving-vacation.
I got a cold after a few days of diving and i had problems with my sinus and my equalization .
I tried to dive anyway because of the nice diving location (living in Sweden :( ).
I felt pressure against my forehead when i tried to go down a little bit deeper , and spitted blood every time i reached the surface.( the blood came from my sinus).
I had to cancel all my diving after thoose problems occured.
I took 5 days rest and got rid of my cold , and my problems went away like they never existed.
Your friend probably have problems with his sinus , maybe he needs to rest from the diving for a while .
Otherwhise he should go see a doctor.

Cheers. Jeppe

Thanks for the the replies.

My friend said he was coughing the blood from his lungs but did not complain of any pain, he was just freaked out! He felt that his lungs were congested and complained of discomfort at depth.

He is away in the middle east for a month so hopefully the warmth will sort him out.

Cheers

Wow. :(

Coughing from his lungs! That's horrible!

I hope the weather sorts him out. I'm sorry to hear that.

Let us know if he recovers from it and also if he gets the same symptoms.

I'll see if I can ask other pro's to answer the question.

Til then!
Christian.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT