• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

could freediving improve parkinson's disease?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

pfeffinski

Jun 15, 2022
are there any freedivers /spearfishers out there who dive even though they are diagnosed with parkinson? or did anyone hear about some case?

my dad got diagnosed with it and i was wondering if moderate recreational freediving could help to improve his symptoms, or if it could be dangerous for him.. both options seem quite possible to me and obviously i dont want to propose him anything which could make his situation worse.. (also i dont know yet if his doctor or the freedive school would agree on him doing it)

i just thought it could be helpful, as freediving seems to be quite beneficial for the nervious system and well, it could be a very nice and fun way of working on his health:)

curious to hear your ideas, opinions or in best case experiences :)

Hi, my dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's also. He has always been an active person and a strong swimmer but I wouldn't have taken him freediving, maybe shallow cold water swimming at the most. Apokyn (apomorphine hydrochloride) injections also help ( This injection might work for one person but not the other) the injection stops the tremors for some of the day as it boosts Dopamine levels as low Dopamine levels are found with people who have Parkinson's. I do not know how readily available Apokyn is in Spain as the health system is different to here in the UK but it made a big difference to my Dad's life as my mum would give him the injections once or twice a day so he is able to live life to some normality.
All depends on the individual and as with any neurological problem it affects each individual in a different way so there is not a singular one answer to your question.
Hope this helps.
All the best.

Last edited:
I don't think that the freediving will help slow the disease. Depending on how far the progression even swimming may not be a good idea. I knew a guy with Parkinsons that was able to play racket sports for a long time. BUT, many Parkinsons patients become high risk for pneumonia just from accidentally breathing in their own saliva. Seems like water immersion becomes super duper high risk in that population.

thanks allot for your replies!!

brochman sorry to hear about your father:( and yes youre absolutly right, obviously the disease affects everyone different and so therefor things might work different on each.. regarding medicin, my parents live in california.. but i think in that case my dad is quite lucky, cause my mom is doctor of "functional medicine" which means she knows lots about fancy but natural treatments.. hopefully they will help some.. thanks for the advice anyways!!

and erixsparhawk, happy to hear your friend was able to keep playing racket sports! always good to hear kind of positiv stories:) the thing with saliva and pneumonia sounds very reasonable.. my dads main issues for now are tremors and constipation though..

but yeah i see the point, there are lots of things which could possibly go wrong for him during a dive..:( i had the little naiv hope to get a positiv answer, but im not surprised that it didnt happen.. thanks for sharing your points of view!! i appreciate!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT