• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question Could I have the Benz?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jim frize

Apr 14, 2023
I was at a resort yesterday called "Escape" in Penang Malaysia, it's 1000m above sea level and my friend dropped his phone in the "Dead Sea" pool, it's only 4m deep, with some effort (and tight goggles!) I swam to the bottom to retrieve his phone. Not sure if it's a possibility, but I thought someone on here might know, could this situation be enough to induce the benz? Just after getting out the pool I had pressure in the sinus area and a headache, it's now the next day and I feel exhausted and I have pain in both my calf muscles. I'm guessing the salinity of the water is somewhat equivalent to the actual dead sea, however I can't confirm the exact level. Any advice would be appreciated. I know next to nothing about diving and this might just be a stupid thought, but I thought I would ask around and see if there's a possibility that I've done something really daft without realising. I might just have strained myself swimming down in the super buoyant water and I'm over thinking things! Thanks in advance.

//Jim

Hi Jim, I think you are probably safe. :)

Regardless of your elevation above sea level you should in theory have been able to stay at 4m forever without incurring any risk of problematic bubbles forming on ascent or after the 'dive'.

It sounds like you have had a bit of a sinus squeeze, and your diagnosis of over-exertion on a hard swim down does seem to fit with the symptoms you describe; but if in any doubt you should of course see a doctor.

Hope this helps!

Bill

^^^What he said. I am not a doctor and don't play one on TV, but decompression illness (DCI, bends) from a 4m breathhold dive is highly unlikely. OTOH, an ear or sinus barotrauma (pressure injury) is always a possibility, especially with pre-existing sinus issues, or if you dove down too fast and didn't equalize properly/successfully. The effects should clear up in a couple of days. If not, go see an ear-throat-nose physician ASAP.

Reactions: jim frize
Hi Jim, I think you are probably safe. :)

Regardless of your elevation above sea level you should in theory have been able to stay at 4m forever without incurring any risk of problematic bubbles forming on ascent or after the 'dive'.

It sounds like you have had a bit of a sinus squeeze, and your diagnosis of over-exertion on a hard swim down does seem to fit with the symptoms you describe; but if in any doubt you should of course see a doctor.

Hope this helps!

Bill
Thanks Bill, yeah I think I'm fine, sinus is feeling better today, but i definitely did a number on my calf muscles, i think i need to get a lot more exercise!

^^^What he said. I am not a doctor and don't play one on TV, but decompression illness (DCI, bends) from a 4m breathhold dive is highly unlikely. OTOH, an ear or sinus barotrauma (pressure injury) is always a possibility, especially with pre-existing sinus issues, or if you dove down too fast and didn't equalize properly/successfully. The effects should clear up in a couple of days. If not, go see an ear-throat-nose physician ASAP.
Thanks for the reply, yeah the super buoyant water meant that I surfaced real quick, my ears actually popped. I'll probably be fine, the feeling of pressure in my sinus has mostly dissipated. Such a weird experience, but glad i rescued my friends phone (and bank card). The lifeguard for the pool point blank refused to retrieve it, I guess he was aware of the effort involved in swimming against the buoyancy, was not easy for someone of my fitness (or lack thereof)

That car is amazing I love it too and I recommend you to own one if you are looking for information about technologies like this you visit APKtome

Donkey Kong throws barrels and other objects at the player to impede their progress. The game has since become a beloved classic and has been ported to many different platforms over the years.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT