• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

CPR - theory or experience?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Real life experience of CPR?

• yes, with survival of injured person

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • yes, no survival

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • bystander/onlooker

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • never

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
an aspirator.. done by a professional (isn't that right Ocean Swimmer?)

CPR....

In the US a CPR certification has a mandatory portion devoted to 'obstructed airway'.
---> This is because a respiratory arrest is always followed by a cardiac arrest if the victim stops breathing.
[Since this is a freediver website, I'll qualify that by saying this doesn't apply to those who train in static apnea...Eric F. feel free to comment here...]
--->One of the most common causes for respiratory arrest is choking or drowning (both are considered obstructed airways)
You have 4 minutes to restore oxygen to the patient; in both cases, either brain damage ensues, or cardiac arrest/death is imminent.

That's the rationale for giving two quick rescue breaths before commencing the compression part of the CPR exercise. If the victim has a pulse, and no breathing, the first thing you do is position the victim's head to open the airway. Sometimes respirations will resume spontaneously (this happens sometimes when people faint) Then you assess if air exchange is actually happening: look, listen, and feel....
After giving the 2 quick breaths, you assess again to determine if you are getting any return of air (exhalation, or movement of air out of the lungs) In the absence of air return, you must assume you are presented with an obstructed airway. O2 forced inwards into an obstruction isn't going to do any good: your priority becomes removing the obstruction asap.
In the interest of space and because I'm not a certified teacher of CPR, please refer to any recent text on the subject....

Deep Thought: positioning a victim on his/her side and delivering sharp blows to the back, as well as the abdominal thrust done after positioning the patient on his/her back should cause the obstruction to come forward...or at least go into the mouth where you can fish it out with your fingers....
This is done differently for children, so please, refer to your texts on the method.
<I think CPR should be a requirement for graduation from High School.>
Respiratory arrest can happen from something as simple as passing out after too much liquor. A woman in front of me on an international flight had been drinking heavily with her husband; she slumped forward suddenly and stopped breathing. Hubby shook her and got no response: he was suddenly scared stiff: a middle row seat, no response from his wife, and a crowded plane with (mostly) sleeping passengers at night. I stood up, leaned forward and got her head and neck in a better alignment (lifted her chin). Her breathing spontaneously resumed and she awoke a minute or two later. She had no recollection of passing out. I showed hubby how to open her airway. She had no problems for the rest of the flight. (Other than a hangover and upset stomach later)
It's a simple fix, and has such a profound impact....

I didn't mean to ask about an obstracted airway, but about lungs that are filled with fluid... (as might happen in a sever drowning case).

Reactions: Pablo
Hi Michael (Deep Thought) -- You're right, my answer is not specifically directed at near-drownings, but the same tactics apply: positioning a victim on the side to allow fluid to passively drain out might -initially- help.
If the rescue is timely, the patient will vomit and that's when quick action to both re-position the body and apply suction to remove the fluids is vital.
Oddly enough, even fluid-filled lungs are called an 'obstructed airway'....the only difference being that smaller air-passages are involved.

Edit: Found an article in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, "Sand Aspiration with Near-drowning
Radiographic and Bronchoscopic Findings" by DONNIE P. DUNAGAN et al. July 1997 ppg 292-295. http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT