• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cramps

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Nicky

May 10, 2002
Hey everyone,
When I go diving I get lots of foot cramps - ususally in the winter but also a fair few in the summer too. They are so annoying and I've tried everything from eating bananas ( Ilove typing that word!) to drinking heaps of water for the hours before my dive.....any secret remedies to make them go away???
Also wanted to thank Kevin from California for helping me with my breathing, I'm up to 2 mins now!!! rofl

~ Nicky
:girlie

fins?

Nicky,

Could be that you have fins (foot pockets) that don't fit properly. Does the problem occur regardless of what fins you are wearing (assuming that you have more than one pair)?

As the problem occurs more in the winter, are you wearing thicker booties/socks than during the summer?

I know when I water ski I get foot cramps as I involuntrarily tense my foot in the ski (like you would if someone were trying to pull your shoe off and you were resisiting). Are your feet nice and relaxed in your fins?

Just some thoughts.

Scott

Hi Nicky,

I get the same thing sometimes. I usually get them on the bottom of my foot, The tendon that goes all the way to the big toe. If my foot cramps then I have to take the fin off and wriggle my toes & massage the foot.

I think part of it is to do with how your footpockets fit. Tighter fit can make it worse.

The only thing that helps me is thicker socks, ie 5mm. Or make sure the ones you use don't have holes in them :duh .

Could try some fancy silver or gold lined ones or "Titanium" as they like to say in the westuit adds. Picasso make them but they aren't cheap. I'm pretty sure you could get some made up from
Neptune or something.

Cheers,
Wal

Thanks guys,
well I wear booties - is that what you mean?
They don't fit me that well, but they are ok.
I have two sets of fins - a flexi rubber pair and a pair of Omer fiberglass ones that are a little too big (what can you do about pressies like that?)
Is there anything I could eat to make them go away :p - I hate them!!
~ Nicky - thanks for all the help
:cool:

I don't think eating anything will help.
If your boots don't fit well, ie let water in, then that's the source of your problem. Likewise for the Omer fins.

What I used to do with scuba diving, when wearing boots, is to wear some 3mm socks under them, makes it heaps warmer. Even well fitting boots still let water in. Neoprene socks, as used for freediving are far better because they are a close fit and you tuck the sock into the wetsuit, so no water goes in & out.

If the footpockets are too small, you could try wearing 5mm socks, then wear boots a size bigger. Feet should be pretty toasty then.

Cheers,
Wal

hi

hey walrus do you know whos on the australian freediving team and also what numbers do you sort of have to achieve to get there, eg static, constant, dynamic.

cheers

Sorry Ivan,

I only just saw your other post, I've replied to it have a look. I suspect I will be on the team if it does all go ahead. Airfares not to cheap, so a lot of people probably can't go unless they get some sponsorship. Sacha Dench has worked hard on getting this, think she has got some sponsors, but to what extent I'm not sure. It wasn't an easy task considering the short time left.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT