• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cressi Apnea 5or 7mm

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Wojtulson

Mar 21, 2019
Hello!

I would like to buy Cressi Apnea wet suite. Probably will go with a 5mm or 7mm version. I will buy it online but can't decide on the size.

I am 190cm tall, 92kg of weight. My chest is 105cm, hips 98cm and waist 98cm, so probably XL from the attached size chart should be good.

But I worry about the height. This XL is from 178 to 188cm.

Wont this be to small for me?

Thanks!

Attachments

• cressi_chart.png
    cressi_chart.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 422
Can you not just send it back and ask for a larger size of it is too small for you?

Leg length should not be a problem as neoprene socks can cover any shortfall. In that regard, a bit too short is probably better than a bit too long. But I would suggest looking for a different model of wetsuit, one which covers all your dimensions - or, better yet, get one made-to-measure. I think Omer wetsuits tend to be suited to slim builds.

Off-the-shelf wetsuits are often softer and stretchier than made-to-measure wetsuits, and so can fit a wider range of shapes and sizes. With stretch though, you loose loft/thickness => warmth. For example, my 5mm made-to-measure suit is a little warmer than my off-the-shelf 5.5mm suit.

If you get a 7mm wetsuit you will need to wear more lead on your weight belt. It will likely stretch less than a 5mm wetsuit.

A made-to-measure suit is a good investment IMHO, provide you take the measurements carefully. Very carefully.

Thank you Mr. X. So I'm going through Omer offer. I think it is a bit too early for a made-to-measure suite.
If I go for a Cressi Apnea I'm decide for a 5mm version.

Leg length should not be a problem as neoprene socks can cover any shortfall. In that regard, a bit too short is probably better than a bit too long. But I would suggest looking for a different model of wetsuit, one which covers all your dimensions - or, better yet, get one made-to-measure. I think Omer wetsuits tend to be suited to slim builds.

Off-the-shelf wetsuits are often softer and stretchier than made-to-measure wetsuits, and so can fit a wider range of shapes and sizes. With stretch though, you loose loft/thickness => warmth. For example, my 5mm made-to-measure suit is a little warmer than my off-the-shelf 5.5mm suit.

If you get a 7mm wetsuit you will need to wear more lead on your weight belt. It will likely stretch less than a 5mm wetsuit.

A made-to-measure suit is a good investment IMHO, provide you take the measurements carefully. Very carefully.

Reactions: Mr. X
For stockier spearos, Beuchat and Mares may work better. Mares did for me. Beuchat offer some really nice wetsuit (as does Omer) but seemed pricey to me. A cheap made-to-measure suit is probably a better bet than an expensive off-the-shelf wetsuit unless you can try the latter on or are confident that it will fit well. Fit is important, more important than camo, patches, linings, fancy neoprenes, etc. IMHO

regarding Omer, I just got the MasterTeam 3mm delivered today in size L/4 (my measurements (in cm): 190, chest 95, waist 84, wrist 17) and it was too loose around chest, waist and wrist for me, although height wise would've been ok. The quality of the wetsuit seems to be good though.
So I think it could fit you pretty well.

I think the width fit - chest, waist, hip - will likely be more critical than height for most, as gloves and socks can bridge the gap. But people come in such a wide range of shapes and sizes there will inevitably be problems. If you can generally buy standard clothes sizes you may get lucky - study the size chart for the specific make and model you plan to buy carefully. If you can't find that size chart I would recommend that you look for a different make/model that does have a model -specific size chart. However...

My son is slender. I bought him a kit that included a wetsuit which we chose carefully for his measurements but it was still a terrible fit and had to be returned :( It was too short but worse the ankles and wrists were extremely tight but the thighs were much too big. It was an Italian brand, but I suspect it was sized fit a women and/or Asian person.

But made-to-measure is safer/better IMHO.

Reactions: mik3ydll
BTW it may also be worth considering how your body is likely to change in the next few years. For example my own bodyweight increased quite a lot and later decreased even more but my made-to-measure wetsuit has remained a remarkably good fit throughout.

E.g. Youngsters often put on muscle, and loose fat, in their early teens and twenties.

If you are currently putting on weight or loosing weight, you might want to factor that in.

I bought my current off-the-shelf wetsuit so it just fit my current size as I was in the middle of a long period of gradual weight loss. I figured that way it would fit immediately and would become a better fit as I lost more weight. Which is what has happened. :)

Hey guys, i've recently bought the Cressi Apnea wetsuit on attrezzatura subacquea with 50% off. i'm 195cm tall, 96kg of weight and i bought the XL thanks to the advises from their expert team, if you still have some doubts just use the chat they're great!

Hi all,

I am looking to spearfish in the south of England this summer and obviously i will need a wetsuit. I have my eyes on the the Cressi Apnea 5mm suit as apparently is easy to put on without any lubrication and is , and i quote their marketing here, " as good as open cell". Looking at Amazon these go for around £142 at the moment which seems like a good deal for my first wetsuit. However, i am not sure about which size is likely to fit me as some of my measurements fit the XL and some others the XXL size whilst waist is 7cm bigger than XXL . Can anyone advise on how "stretchy" these suit are and if i am better to go with XL/XXL or call it a day and go for a custom?

For reference my measurements are:
Chest: 115 CM
Waist: 102 CM
Hips: 105 CM
Weight: 97 kg
Height: 177 CM

I've also attached the size chart from Amazon below

Attachments

• cressi size chart.jpg
    cressi size chart.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 412
Can you buy the top and bottom in different sizes? Some retailers offer this option but can be stupidly expensive.

Tough call. Sometimes those size tables are higly accurate , other times laughably wrong. If it is like my Mares suit, it might well stretch enough but, stretched, it will be thinner, so not as warm and more prone to damage. Is it likely that you will lose/gain weight after purchase?

A basic made to measure spearo suit, e.g. Elios ecoline neoprene spearo suit, would be my suggestion for those who do not fit "standard" sizes.

Last edited:
Reactions: dkorom
i went with the XL size given that Amazon accepts returns ;) . It seems that it stretches a bit more that the size chart indicates as it seems like a snug fit. Thanks!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT