• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cressi Comanche mono line crimping botch

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
M

Markwienands

First off, I am not flaming Cressi for their spearguns, as my first Comanche did gave me bountifulness food from the ocean to bring seafood to the table.

The Comanche was shipped with a fully rigged 14 mm clear line with crimps fully connected to the shaft and the speargun head. No bungee sling.

However, today my 14mm stock mono line that came with the gun as shipped came undone. I was able to retrieve my shaft using a spare air tank (terrible idea but I know, the water was deep as crap, and I am living in Thailand so new shafts are extremely difficult to get a hold of).

To my inspection the crimps were at fault. Lo and behold, the crimping sleeves were crimped at both ends rather than in the middle, and this definitely cut into the lines weakening it.

crimp.jpg

Am I missing something here? This is not a recommended practice and I am sure Cressi would not overlook this step. Or was this handled by a retailer?

Looking forward for your opinion.

Crimping at either end is ok I think, I often crimp *gently* about 4x. You don't need a fancy crimping tool because the crimps are quite soft - I use a very cheap, old bi-cusped electrical crimper - but pliers could be used. Looks like the above might have been crimped too firmly perhaps?

BTW I usually mushroom the end of the mono with a Clipper lighter or match after threading it through the crimp - to stop it pulling back (see the Rigging for Dummies thread - Miles had a good story on that - he forgot to crimp a loop but the mushroomed end held). I also normally superglue over it.

No muzzle bungee? That sucks. I suggest that you take this opportunity to add your own.

BTW I usually mushroom the end of the mono with a Clipper lighter or match after threading it through the crimp.
No muzzle bungee? That sucks. I suggest that you take this opportunity to add your own.

These two small changes should set you in good stead.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT