• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cressi Drake review 2017

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Kodama

Jun 20, 2016
Below is a list of the main features of the Drake computer as mentioned in the manual, in between and down below I have added some personal comments. I have only dived with the watch during 10 pool training sessions and 3 dive sessions in a 15m tank and I have not yet been able to test every feature (there are so many). I might continue to update this tread as I gain more experience with the computer. Hopefully for now this is helpful and will save you many hours of doing research when trying to find a computer that suits your needs. Feel free to ask additional questions.
• - 12/24-hour time with minutes and seconds.
• - Calendar.
• - Precision chronograph with split time function and lap time.
• - Function according to time.
• - Possibility of changing between main and secondary time.
• - Multi alarms.
Four special complete programs for different diving disciplines:
FREE program: Processor of key data for deep free diving. PRO program: Processor of advanced and complete data for deep free diving. Extension RRT RECOMMENDED RECOVERY TIME and TR TIME RATIO to FREE and PRO programs for total safety during the sessions of deep diving.
DYNAMIC program: Complete processor of data for diving in dynamic free diving. STATIC program: Complete processor of data for diving in static free diving.
• - Complete setting of alarm parameters of time, depth and the number of diving or laps.
• - Possibility of storing 36 settings of alarms.
• - Possibility of loading different alarm settings.
• - Possibility of immediate zero setting of alarms.
Incremental alarms for depth every 5/10/20 and/or 3 additional depth alarms per setting!
Additionally you can also program all these alarms from within the pc software when your watch is connected. I find this very convenient when planning my next diving session, while analyzing the previous one.
  • Extension REPS to STATIC and DYNAMIC programs to create and store regular and incremental training tables. I have to play a bit more with this feature but it seems very promising you can also adjust the settings from in the software making it easy to plan your next training session.
• - Acoustic and visual alarms.
• - Acoustic alarms activated and deactivated.
• - Possibility of self-lighting of the display in depth.
• - Sea and fresh water setting.
• - Battery replacement carried out by the user.
• - Logbook of sessions.
• - Three functions of Dive history: static diving, dynamic diving and deep diving.
• - Possibility of setting the sampling time.
• - Unit of measure change from the metric system (meters and °C) to the feet system (ft- °F) by the user.
• - PC/Mac interface with general data and dive profile (optional).

Dive programs are activated after one push on the mode button from there everything is logged automoatically. The dive time starts when you go deeper then 0,8m. This works perfectly also in the pool during training and no issues whatsoever.
Screen layout is great showing different information during or after the dive. You can scroll true different screens to choose what info is displayed and suits your needs best.
The readability is very good they obviously gave the the screen layout considerable thought it always shows the most important information in the center, you can scroll in between screen layouts to show what you think is most important.

I can hear the alarm well with a 7mm hood on but in a loud sea it may be more difficult. I have only been diving in a dive tank lately and have yet to take out in the ocean. I will update this later.

The manual could certainly be improved. It is not entirely unclear but it seems that things are explained more difficult than they are. The English translation is poor with grammatical errors. You can make sense of it but it seems like the translator was hungover.
There are plenty of diagrams in the manual that are helpful and illustrate the text.

No integrated heart rate monitor which I am very happy about since no one seems to be able to make such a feature work flawlessly and reliable. When features become a nuisance I rather have them excluded. I appreciate Cressi for making a product that seems to work perfectly so far.

Pc software is okay and very functional with plenty of features to keep a nice log including google maps location and pictures etc. it certainly could benefit from a graphical update it looks a bit outdated with a windows 95 look on a mac however functionality is fine.

I do have a problem with viewing the ‘Dive Details’ and this is unfortunate since it is one of the most useful tools of the software. I am not sure wether this is only a problem on my mac or if it is more common for others as well. I contacted Cressi regarding this issue and they got back to me within 24 hours and I am working with them to solve the issue. So far their customer service seems to be really good too.

Overall I can say I am super satisfied with this watch. It took me a couple of days to find my way true all the numerous features but now that I have been using it is all quite intuitive.

Before I bought this one I also considered all the other ones out there. Regarding the features I was looking for I was left with the Ratio Idive the Suunto d4/d6 and the Drake. The first two are both more expensive and did not have features that would justify the extra cost. I am sure this one is not perfect but for the moment more then good enough for me. Highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acidjack
I could test it too several months ago, and i can also recommend it. It looks pretty great too.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

Hi,does dive mode engage automatically or does it need to be manually set? And does it show surf time between dives without any buttonpressing?

Hi,does dive mode engage automatically or does it need to be manually set? And does it show surf time between dives without any buttonpressing?

You need to push the mode button to start the dive mode you set as your preference. This really isn't a big deal. From there on everything goes automatically. Yes it shows surface time between dives and the time ratio and the last max. depth and dive time.

Additionally you can see the descend and ascend speed, time of the day, water temperature, recommended recovery time, ascend and descend time, average speed, average depth/time , total dive and surface time. All depending on the screen layout you choose with one push on the button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: sjurba
I own this watch since June . I have done since now about 38 sessions .The watch stores the whole dive as a session after finishing .I would like to have the option to see every individual dive time and depth but it shows the max and average depth and time of all the dives which are included in the session.I don't have the Infrared adaptor to PC .

Reactions: Kodama
I recently got the Cressi Drake and I found it really good, for the moment I'm just using it in the swimming pool for dynamic training, and seems very helpful, tracking all the laps/dives, surface time!
Just to add more info the recording time can be set between 1, 2, 4 seconds

88e955951b49d4c6ee928841d7b3ba9a.jpg

Here is a little update..
Software issues solved.

I had an issue with the software where the the 'dive detail' tab wasn't working well. This screen, being the most useful of all, was a feature that I wanted to be able to use and I was frustrated that it didn't work.
I contacted Cressi and worked together with one of their representatives Guiseppe on a solution. They spared no effort to work on the problem with me together and finally where able to send me an updated version of the software that solved the issue.
There are two things I like to point out here.
One, I highly appreciate a company who takes customer service seriously and is dedicated to deliver a quality product.
And two after this issue was solved I can say that I love the software that comes with it. It may look a bit outdated but the functionality is completely there. There are so many useful functions, it really is an advanced logbook.
Google map integration for your dive locations, weather, images and especially controlling all the alarms and training settings from within the software I find very useful.

Edit:
I do think there are some features that could be added to the dive computer so please keep posting your suggestions here and hopefully they will integrate them in a next firmware update.
I like Dromilious suggestion for example.

Here is a little update..
Software issues solved.

I had an issue with the software where the the 'dive detail' tab wasn't working well. This screen, being the most useful of all, was a feature that I wanted to be able to use and I was frustrated that it didn't work.
I contacted Cressi and worked together with one of their representatives Guiseppe on a solution. They spared no effort to work on the problem with me together and finally where able to send me an updated version of the software that solved the issue.
There are two things I like to point out here.
One, I highly appreciate a company who takes customer service seriously and is dedicated to deliver a quality product.
And two after this issue was solved I can say that I love the software that comes with it. It may look a bit outdated but the functionality is completely there. There are so many useful functions, it really is an advanced logbook.
Google map integration for your dive locations, weather, images and especially controlling all the alarms and training settings from within the software I find very useful.

Nice to hear, is the new version available for all on the website?

I am not sure about it but if you have an issue I recommend to contact Cressi and they will happily help you.
I think the problem I had was related to my specific situation, I don't think it was an universal issue. It took us a couple of tries to figure out what was going on.

For example of my previous post you can see at the top left and right the date ,center left the max depth of the session 20 meters,center right the max depth time -not of the 20 meters dive,the max of the session - down left the dives of the session ( 11) and last bottom right the MINIMUM temperature.

Attachments

• xstoragexsdcard0xDCIMxbrowser-photosx1488978736690.jpg
    xstoragexsdcard0xDCIMxbrowser-photosx1488978736690.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 423
Reactions: riccardosl
Is there like two different types of this watch? Like one is Cressi Drake and the other one is Cressi Drake Titanium? Is the difference only the titanium back case or?

Thanks

Is there like two different types of this watch? Like one is Cressi Drake and the other one is Cressi Drake Titanium? Is the difference only the titanium back case or?

Thanks
Hey,

no, there is just one version in two colors. The "Titanium" part of the name ist just sometimes omitted.
https://cressi.com/Catalogue/CressiTech.asp?id=1134

On a different note:
Does anyone know how the interface works exactly (where is the IR diode placed?) and if it is possible to use another (infrared) interface? For earlier cressi models it was possible to build your own interface hardware. Just curious if that might be possible here as well.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how the interface works exactly (where is the IR diode placed?) and if it is possible to use another (infrared) interface? For earlier cressi models it was possible to build your own interface hardware. Just curious if that might be possible here as well.

the ir diode is placed in the 12 0'clock position. Would love to see the result if you make your own. Post a picture and tell us how it works.

Hi Kodama,

Thank you for the review.
Currently I'm using the Suunto D3, a classic :) and I got 1 button broken that needs a replacement.

What I like about it is it's low weight and it's functionalities.
About the Drake:

1) does it have a continuous count down timer? so when it hit's the set time it automatically restart?
2) does it have a dive time alarm? - I like to set it at 1/2 of my maximum dive time so I know when to turn.

It's now 2020, have you got any other recommendations?

I'm considering the Titanium version for durability and light weight.

Thanks, kars

Reactions: Kodama
Hi Kars
I have to check the manual again to make sure but I think yes to both your questions. It is an ideal watch for pool training. Maybe we can train in Eindhoven again and I will bring it with me.

Currently the pool in Eindhoven is only open in a super restricted mode, just 1 hour max, 1,5m apart, no hanging on the wall, max 10 people in a lane etc.
I'm currently diving in lakes and prepairing for our meeting in Hemmoor 3-6 July. I think you have my contact info, if you fancy a dive session. These days I mostly work on weekends and Wednesday, the other days I may be available. Love to see your drake in person!

Below is a list of the main features of the Drake computer as mentioned in the manual, in between and down below I have added some personal comments. I have only dived with the watch during 10 pool training sessions and 3 dive sessions in a 15m tank and I have not yet been able to test every feature (there are so many). I might continue to update this tread as I gain more experience with the computer. Hopefully for now this is helpful and will save you many hours of doing research when trying to find a computer that suits your needs. Feel free to ask additional questions.
• - 12/24-hour time with minutes and seconds.
• - Calendar.
• - Precision chronograph with split time function and lap time.
• - Function according to time.
• - Possibility of changing between main and secondary time.
• - Multi alarms.
Four special complete programs for different diving disciplines:
FREE program: Processor of key data for deep free diving. PRO program: Processor of advanced and complete data for deep free diving. Extension RRT RECOMMENDED RECOVERY TIME and TR TIME RATIO to FREE and PRO programs for total safety during the sessions of deep diving.
DYNAMIC program: Complete processor of data for diving in dynamic free diving. STATIC program: Complete processor of data for diving in static free diving.
• - Complete setting of alarm parameters of time, depth and the number of diving or laps.
• - Possibility of storing 36 settings of alarms.
• - Possibility of loading different alarm settings.
• - Possibility of immediate zero setting of alarms.
Incremental alarms for depth every 5/10/20 and/or 3 additional depth alarms per setting!
Additionally you can also program all these alarms from within the pc software when your watch is connected. I find this very convenient when planning my next diving session, while analyzing the previous one.
  • Extension REPS to STATIC and DYNAMIC programs to create and store regular and incremental training tables. I have to play a bit more with this feature but it seems very promising you can also adjust the settings from in the software making it easy to plan your next training session.
• - Acoustic and visual alarms.
• - Acoustic alarms activated and deactivated.
• - Possibility of self-lighting of the display in depth.
• - Sea and fresh water setting.
• - Battery replacement carried out by the user.
• - Logbook of sessions.
• - Three functions of Dive history: static diving, dynamic diving and deep diving.
• - Possibility of setting the sampling time.
• - Unit of measure change from the metric system (meters and °C) to the feet system (ft- °F) by the user.
• - PC/Mac interface with general data and dive profile (optional).

Dive programs are activated after one push on the mode button from there everything is logged automoatically. The dive time starts when you go deeper then 0,8m. This works perfectly also in the pool during training and no issues whatsoever.
Screen layout is great showing different information during or after the dive. You can scroll true different screens to choose what info is displayed and suits your needs best.
The readability is very good they obviously gave the the screen layout considerable thought it always shows the most important information in the center, you can scroll in between screen layouts to show what you think is most important.

I can hear the alarm well with a 7mm hood on but in a loud sea it may be more difficult. I have only been diving in a dive tank lately and have yet to take out in the ocean. I will update this later.

The manual could certainly be improved. It is not entirely unclear but it seems that things are explained more difficult than they are. The English translation is poor with grammatical errors. You can make sense of it but it seems like the translator was hungover.
There are plenty of diagrams in the manual that are helpful and illustrate the text.

No integrated heart rate monitor which I am very happy about since no one seems to be able to make such a feature work flawlessly and reliable. When features become a nuisance I rather have them excluded. I appreciate Cressi for making a product that seems to work perfectly so far.

Pc software is okay and very functional with plenty of features to keep a nice log including google maps location and pictures etc. it certainly could benefit from a graphical update it looks a bit outdated with a windows 95 look on a mac however functionality is fine.

I do have a problem with viewing the ‘Dive Details’ and this is unfortunate since it is one of the most useful tools of the software. I am not sure wether this is only a problem on my mac or if it is more common for others as well. I contacted Cressi regarding this issue and they got back to me within 24 hours and I am working with them to solve the issue. So far their customer service seems to be really good too.

Overall I can say I am super satisfied with this watch. It took me a couple of days to find my way true all the numerous features but now that I have been using it is all quite intuitive.

Before I bought this one I also considered all the other ones out there. Regarding the features I was looking for I was left with the Ratio Idive the Suunto d4/d6 and the Drake. The first two are both more expensive and did not have features that would justify the extra cost. I am sure this one is not perfect but for the moment more then good enough for me. Highly recommend it.

Is this watch still ticking? :)

Is this watch still ticking? :)

What do you mean?
His watch specifically or the model in general?

I've been using it for about three years now, one year almost every day as an instructor and beginning soon I'll be teaching with it again.

I changed my battery once and had a look at the insides. Looks fine, the pressure sensor is not a bright white anymore.

Over the years the band lost quite a bit of colour. Sunscreen, UV radiation and salt take their toll regardless of my religious soaking of the watch after every session.

I installed a glass screen protector and it saved the watch face more than once.

Sometimes I wished that it could just link to my phone and download dive profiles.
It might be that the light is not as bright as it used to be anymore.

Even without a hood the alarm is not loud or rather piercing enough if I don't have my hand on my nose for EQ.
I do hear it when I'm safetying though and so do the divers. :LOL:

I love my Drake and although I'm sometimes fondling other divers watches, I always pick mine up happily and use it again and again.
Although it took some getting used to, the interface is clear, easy to use and the buttons are still snappy and responsive.

I can explain everything important in a few sentences and everyone who used a dive watch before has no problems with it.

I'll dive this watch till it dies.
Or I pick up scuba :eek::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: DiveHacker
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT