• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cressi Gara 2000HF--Opinions?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ONT

Oct 22, 2014
I'm looking at ordering my first real pair of freediving fins and I wanted y'all's opinions on whether I'm getting the right size and if the price is reasonable. Right now, the plan is to order a pair of Cressi's Gara 2000HF fins and a fin bag on amazon. For the both of them it's $150, is that a reasonable price? I also wanted to ask about size: my Nike shoes are 10.5US/9.5UK and my Adidas shoes are 10.5US/10UK, so I'm thinking to order the 10/11? Reviews say they run large but I think those people just don't realize the fins are supposed to be worn with booties; can anyone comment on Cressi's sizing? I'm going to be taking these to the Florida Keys, so I'm guessing booties in the 2-3mm range, but I'm not sure.

Can someone answer this please? I gotta know if I need to look somewhere else for fins, I'm running out of time to train...
(read: responses would be most appreciated!)

Not really a reasonable; on Scubastore a pair of Gara 2000HF costs 69 €

the ½ size should B enough for socks, but fins R not supposed to B worn with socks. It depends entirely on the water temp &personal preference. (fe. my preferecne is ~ >4 C =7 mm, >9 C=5 mm, >14 C=3 mm, >17 C=1 mm)

In fact I would not use freediving fins such a warm water; just regular snorkling fins, since there is no need for a thick suit. Freediving fins R too heavy on the leg muscles for every day use unless U R an athlete, thus U will get more dive time with smaller fins (or even with no fins @ all)

Last edited:
Reactions: ONT
I have a pair of Gara 2000 HF's in a size 42-44. I take a Euro 42 and I can wear them with no booties. I used to use a 2mm sock when it got cold (10 deg c), but anything more than that was a bit of a squeeze. With a bare foot, they were very comfortable and had no problems with rubbing or blisters. The foot pockets are narrow compared to OMER Millenium or Pathos Fireblade pockets.

Find a better deal than your original price and buy them. They are bombproof fins and can take a real battering. They have good flex and are not too heavy for a plastic blade. Once you use longblades, you'll never go back to regular fins.

2000hfs are indestructible and stiff. Softer fins, like a gara 3000 are better for most folks. I wore a pair of 2000hfs for years. Good spearfishing fin. Pockets work much better with narrow feet. I'm a 10.5, used a 10-11 gara, near perfect for barefoot. skinny booties will work fine. Price seems a little high, but I haven't priced them recently.

... Once you use longblades, you'll never go back to regular fins.

Depends entirely on what U R after.
If U want to Xperience perfect frogflow &want to spend lots of time in the water, U might even give up the fins
If U want to go easily &fast to great depths, then long fins R for U

Thank you very much for your replies! So, it looks like the size should be good (room for maybe 1-2mm booties) but the price is too high. I'll look elsewhere and report back when I find the lowest price!

Reactions: Hobelf
Here's the lowest price I could find for fins and a bag:

http://www.houseofscuba.com/product/msf80.html

It's a combo with mask (perla), snorkel (corsica), fins (gara 2000HF), and bag ("long fin bag"), all for $150 (amazon's price for just fins and bag). I already have a mask from amazon, but their returns are usually awesome, so maybe I'll switch to this package... anyone know anything about the Cressi Perla mask? Right now I have the Marea (it's not very low-volume, but it was a full-quality Cressi mask with tempered glass for about $20, so...); does anyone know how Cressi's Perla and Marea masks compare in fit?

the perla is a moderate volume mask. I use something similar to dive 0-33 ft. Its fine for that. Deeper than 45, it takes a noticeable amount of air to equalize. I know nothing about its fit.

You could probably just buy the fins in the keys. Under seas dive shop on big pine should have your size in stock. The guys in the keys used to wear cressi 2000hfs a size large and just put one or two pairs of tube socks on while freedive spearfishing in 100 ft. Comfort is key, just find a size that fits you.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT