• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cressi Gara Sprint vs Omer Stingray Short

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Michael-AT

Sep 28, 2020
Does anyone have experience with either of these "medium length" fins? I currently use Seac Talent, which are medium length as well, but I want to get a 2nd pair of fins, a modular one. So I can potentially upgrade to a full length blade later. Currently I am mostly snorkeling with my kids, so I don't have the opportunity to go super deep. That, and the easier handling for travelling, is my motivation for shorter fins. I'm 90kg 190cm and moderately fit, FWIW...

Would be interesting to find out if among the two any modular technology is better, and of course if one model/blade is more efficient (which one is stiffer, snappier etc.). I usually dive with socks and never had an issue with foot pocket comfort.

Thanks for having a look & for any potential tips!

Why don't you try some Leaderfins? They have some short models that can be easily dissasembled and are way better than the ones you listed.

Reactions: stefpix
Mares Razor footpockets? They seem popular and are the preferred footpocket used by DiveR blades. Personally I would go for Omer over Cressi but more from brand preference than any real comparison. But my own spearing fins are: Beuchat, Beuchat and Apnea (Turkey).

At the budget end of things, I got the Apnea short fins very cheap in a closing down sale, when I accidentally unpacked my Beuchat fins before a week long spearing holiday! :( The footpockets are very big for the stated size and voluminous but they did the job; you'd really need to buy a size or more smaller than unusual for a close fit. There are 2 styles of long blade upgrades available from Apnea (spearfishingstore.co.uk in Totnes, Devon carry them), both are compatible with the footpockets and I think they cost only about £7 each - best price deal around by far for modular spearing fins.

But best try out the footpockets of your preferred fins with your usual neoprene socks if possible. I.e. buy from a store if practical or find some fins to try on.

Thanks for the replies!

Re. Leaderfins: the ones I found in the online store are 2-3x the price of the ones I have selected, that's why I did not consider them. I believe there are superior fins available, but for my 1-2 freediving trips per year plastic fins will surely do their job. It's not that I want to push my limits in any way or that fiber/carbon fins would increase my dive time 2-3x.

Re. Beuchat - yes there seem to be some really good models, however the short one (Beuchat Mundial One 50) has a non-replaceable blade and I've read that Beuchat f/p run rather narrow which would not compliment by average to broad foot form.

I have the seac Talent. They are very comfy, but blades are hard.
after having bought the Leaderfins fiberglass with forza foot pockets I sold my cressi gara modular, a used pair of mares razor that I found for 30 dollars.
the leaderfins are so much lighter and efficient against strong current. I got medium with 70 cm blade so they fit in a travel bag.
I then bought another pair 80cm blade, carbon/fiberglass, soft. Amazing. I use less oxygen at the bottom as there is less effort and can stay down longer.
the forza foot pockets are extremely comfortable and snug at the same time.
I am so far keeping the Talent because they are slightly larger and they may be handy if I need to wear a 5mm soc if water is below 10C. Also I got them slightly used for $35.
if you have the Talent no point in getting another plastic fin. I had the beuchat mundial 50, they were comfy but a blade broke after a year.

leaderfins for a little more money than many plastic fins they give a much better experience.

I have also been looking at the Cressi sprint fins as I often get asked to clear away seaweed, mussel eggs and the occasional rope off a propeller shaft on boat hulls at our local mariner and longer fins are just simply too long for this and my Mares Avanti Hp fins have had there day. The Omer short fins have a 22 degree angle and the Cressi sprint fins have a 29 degree angle and after watching a video from Leaderfins explaining that the greater the angle the more the delay in response from the fin I would say that the Omer short fin is going to be the more responsive fin out of the two. I have looked on many sites for the Omer short fins but so far in the UK they are out of stock on every website I go to but hope to get some one way or the other.

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional thoughts! I've had a look at the leaderfins website again, and I think I will stay with the Talent for this season and get some leaderfins for next season. Initially I was turned off by their obnoxious designs, but when looking deeper I saw there are simple designs as well, plus the option to order 60cm blades which should make it easier to travel with them.

Something I could not find on the website - do they ship out of Europe or US? ...to figure out potential import duties and tax...

Thanks for the additional thoughts! I've had a look at the leaderfins website again, and I think I will stay with the Talent for this season and get some leaderfins for next season. Initially I was turned off by their obnoxious designs, but when looking deeper I saw there are simple designs as well, plus the option to order 60cm blades which should make it easier to travel with them.

Something I could not find on the website - do they ship out of Europe or US? ...to figure out potential import duties and tax...
Ok one year later I can post an update...

I got myself the Omer Shorts and after my first vacation I can say that I'm very happy with them. Compared to the Seac Talents they are lighter and much snappier. I could not A/B them as I did not want to add unnecessary baggage for the flight luggage, but I feel the Omers are more efficient. Size is roughly the same - 80cm in total and 55-60cm blade length. So it is possible to put them in a regular flight suitcase which was quite important for me. Omers have the advantage of removable blades so I could even pack them in a smaller suitcase this way.

I still might upgrade to Carbon blades at a later point in time, but for now I don't feel a strong need to do so.

Reactions: Brochman
I went for the Mares Avanti Quattro Power fins myself as Apnea UK who had the Omer short fin in stock are not willing to send to the northern isles. But I know the Mares fit my feet and I am very impressed with the fin as they perform better than my old Avanti Hp fins and are great for what I need them for when doing maintenance on boats or the Marina.

Reactions: Michael-AT
I went for the Mares Avanti Quattro Power fins myself as Apnea UK who had the Omer short fin in stock are not willing to send to the northern isles. But I know the Mares fit my feet and I am very impressed with the fin as they perform better than my old Avanti Hp fins and are great for what I need them for when doing maintenance on boats or the Marina.
I've had the Quattro Power in my hands as well, but only for a 'dry test'. I had the impression they were very stiff, like my open heel Scuba Quattro Power fins that don't work very well for freediving. I guess they are very cool for quick, powerful strokes but not so efficient for longer dives. Build quality was excellent and foot pocket indeed super comfortable. Sounds like they are a great fit for your purpose!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT