• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cressi Mach

FlotsamBob

Dec 28, 2022
Recently purchased one of these in the 88cm guise.

Wasn't impressed with the basic galvanised 8mm spear and threaded tip (probably great for rock shots) and rather heavy, prominent "wet" muzzle assembly. Cressi could easily have charged a little more and included the excellent spear from the Saetta Pro models. Set to work almost immediately attempting to fit a standard Salvimar 13mm vacuum muzzle.

Note there's a pronounced lip on the inner barrel compared to earlier Saetta models. Standard salvimar piston brake and muzzle will not fit.

signal-2024-06-29-161132_006.jpeg

I experimented by shortening the piston brake by 5mm (3mm off the larger diameter and 2mm off the smaller if I remember correctly) until everything sat snug and correct. A 5mm spacer ring between muzzle assembly and "ogive" with o-rings would achieve proper fitment although I haven't noticed any bad effects from my method.

signal-2024-06-29-161132_002.jpeg

Quick pic of the piston for those interested. Might have to swap this one out. Have good experience with the STC piston, but they seem to have gone out of business. Smeared some STC piston grease (likely teflon based?) on the midsection for good measure.

signal-2024-06-29-161132_004.jpeg

Pressurised to about 20 bar (although I don't have a gauge) and with a 105cm 7mm spear this thing is really nicely balanced, quiet shooting. Good trigger too unless you're used to target rifles. The trigger guard is large enough but snug with 7mm gloves and large hands. Right off the bat I was shooting spot on despite dipping in and out of one of the fastest current streams off the Norwegian coast. My 110cm Cyrano would definitely get pulled off target in this spot!

Probably becoming my favourite all round gun for the Northern Atlantic and I wouldn't hesitate in buying the other lengths. Ability to swap the line release over to the other side of the handle is a nice addition but I do miss the streamlined reel attachment (and vertical reel) from the Mares Cyrano which is still my clearwater go to.

Will try with two wraps next time I hit the water. It easily shoots 3 wraps in 1mm dyneema but a strong current and bad shot placement can be a tangly affair!

signal-2024-06-28-11-37-25-614.jpg

Enjoy the summer if you're in the appropriate hemisphere!

I have not seen the Mach, but it is a name Cressi have used before on a mid-handle, rear tank speargun. I figured that they would probably rejig the Saetta with a side-mounted line release at some time and this looks like it. The main reason for side-mounted line releases is to avoid snagging a reel, if one is fitted, with the line wraps. The under barrel line wraps don't give problems and I have used them for decades, but not with a reel.

You can see here that the Mach handle has the safety slide button moved aft to make room for the side-mounted line release which is located where the safety used to be. Also the power selector gate dogleg is moved upwards to clear the line release installation, however that had already been done in the Saetta.
Cressi_Mach_ handle.jpg

Having used the old Saetta Pro model for a while, this new Cressi is lightyears ahead in trigger sensitivity. The old one was very hard compared and as you mentioned the the under trigger line release is less compatible with a reel setup.

Quick sight mod after dinner:

210025_002.jpeg

I think the Saetta Pro was not a great idea with the STC vacuum muzzle as that rubber bush type vacuum seal is not as effective as the nozzle type rubber vacuum seals that most guns use now. This is because on initial spear insertion the rubber nozzles can burp out water that is sitting in the muzzle as the spear tail goes in the muzzle entrance. The only improvement on the Pro was the metal line anchor under the nose cone that also serves as a front line wrap hook, although I have never had any problems with plastic front hooks like on the standard Saetta. Salvimar evolved from a parts manufacturer for pneumatic spearguns so it makes sense that they offered replacement muzzles for other brands.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT