• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cressi Minima: glass or plastic lenses

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I recently bought a cressi minima mask. I'm 95% sure it is plastic. At least, that is how the material looks to me.
Very low volume, big improvement for me over my regular Scuba mask.

I have read that only the site glass of the minima is made of plastic. These glasses are not clear, because they only hold the front glass. The front glass is made of real glass, not of plastic like the Dacor Bandit.
An german equipment test says the same.
I tested the minima in a shop and the visibility is not as good as in a mask with a higher volume!
It is more like looking throhgh a short tube.

Well, looks like plastic, but the front lens is indeed glass, according to the description at DiveInn:

The front lenses of Minima are made from optic glass, welded during the moulding phases to a clear mounting made from special thermoplastic, which is then welded to the colored polycarbonate frame. These lenses are 3/10 of a millimeter thicker than the traditional mask lenses so they can undergo a super-resistant tempering process. If the glass accidentally breaks, it will not shatter into tiny pieces that are dangerous to the eye, but will collapse, remaining whole, very similar to the windscreen of a car.

Off the question,

Just wanted to contribute a little positive feed on the mimina if you're considering one- I sure like mine and my wife liked it so that I ordered her one also. Real comfortable, very low volume - and hey - it looks hot too!

Still like my Mares target too. There seems to be a lot of good masks out there...

Fred

I like the Minima too, but it tends to leak on me due to the soft plastic. Any use of a snorkel will cause mine to leak from the bottom, and any smiling underwater will also cause it. I guess I'm just too happy a diver. :)

Minima on depths

Well, I used the Minima last Sunday, but somehow it seems to get flooded each time...

Wonder if someone knows any tricks to avoid that.

Klaas

My mask leaks every now & then
Last few dives it just fitted perfectly, but this could be due to the hood on my wetsuit that I always check and arrange over my mask.

My scuba mask was leaking too, last 2 dives, fixed this by tightening the strap a little bit, this might help on the minima too.

My minima also leaks when used with a snorkel. Perfectly water tight by itself, but leaks like crazy with a snorkel. If anyone knows the cure it would be great, because other than this it is a great mask. If there isn't a fix, I'll probably go back to my Cressi SuperOchio.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT