• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cressi wishbone failure

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
one thing that’s a bit confusing is it was emphasised that I needed to measure From the muzzle to the furthest notch from the handle I.e not the notch I’m actually firing from. Any ideas why this may be?

Probably because:
1. Most people load to the furthest notch for more power (you seemed blessed with flatties - for which lower power makes sense. Btw which county are you diving in?)

2. The formulas concernd max. stretch and the furthest notch will cause most stretch. You - or somebody else - may later opt to load to the furthest notch for a bit more power.

If you will never load to the back notch then, yes, measuring to the notch you actually use is a viable alternative. That would give you a bit more power and resistance but if you want that, why not just load to the back notch?

Probably because:
1. Most people load to the furthest notch for more power (you seemed blessed with flatties - for which lower power makes sense. Btw which county are you diving in?)

2. The formulas concernd max. stretch and the furthest notch will cause most stretch. You - or somebody else - may later opt to load to the furthest notch for a bit more power.

If you will never load to the back notch then, yes, measuring to the notch you actually use is a viable alternative. That would give you a bit more power and resistance but if you want that, why not just load to the back notch?

I’ve only just taken up spearfishing but spent most of my time either in Dorset or Cornwall so far.

yeah I get what your saying but I feel like you’ve miss understood. I shoot from the rearmost notch but I was told by spearfishingUK to measure to the forwardmost notch (I.e. furthest from the pistol grip). Initially I gave them the measurement to the rearmost notch but they then confirmed they wanted it to the forward most notch.

the Measurement to the forward most notch using the formula was 60cm, they then asked the length of the existing band (with the threaded ends) which is 57cm. So they are just sending a 57cm one out.

All a bit confusing, I suppose you need to take the length of the wishbone into account too? Hopefully it fits when it arrives

Yes, I misread that as furthest notch from the muzzle. We normally talk about distance from the muzzle.

Perhaps that explains the relatively low x2.7 factor in their formula. Maybe it assumes that going to the back notch will then take the rubber to an optimal 3x stretch?

Yes, I misread that as furthest notch from the muzzle. We normally talk about distance from the muzzle.

Perhaps that explains the relatively low x2.7 factor in their formula. Maybe it assumes that going to the back notch will then take the rubber to an optimal 3x stretch?

Possibly, although watching one of Dan Mann’s videos he uses the 2.7x formula and measures to the rearmost notch..?

I guess I’ll just have to see if I can get it on the rear notch when it arrives

Reactions: Mr. X
Snafu! Probably ok though.

BTW If you tie your own dyneema wishbones you can vary the length of the wishbone. The wishbones on my new ST-60 are tiny, maybe 1 or 2cm between bead loops. But I've seen pictures of wishbones maybe 6" long.

Well the band arrives and it fits fine. Went out last night and got a couple of big sea bass.

the new band is a lot more powerful and the spear passed all the way through both fish

I love a (very) happy ending :). Bass-tastic!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT