• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cressi's mask Minima

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Zoros

Jan 11, 2003
Hello everybody,

I'm wondering if anyone of you has good experience of Cressi's mask Minima in freediving for depths about 10-50 meters.

If not, can you recommend something else for me. I am trying to find a low-volume mask until summer so that I can get a good summer-season start :)

Sincerely,

Zoros

Zorro - bandit masks an' all

I have one and use it for deep diving sometimes. Defining how 'good' a mask is is rather difficult because it is dependent on how good you are at clearing your ears and the shape of your face.

Generally, the silicone skirt on the minima is stiffer than that on the Technisub sphera which enables it to provide more 'back pressure' to clear your ears against. It compresses a large amount, but as soon as gets down to a certain volume, it flexes at the nose bridge and suddenly your vision gets bent. As with many low volume masks, it suffers from too flimsy a strap.

Personally, i would recommend a Cressi Superocchio, Mares Target, Sporasub Samourai, Omer Abyss - all these masks are essentially the same design and very slightly in internal dimensions and the stiffness of the skirt. They all have good strong sraps, decent stap attachments, don't bend and provide good back pressure to clear your ears against. The volume difference between these and the minima is insignificant.

Theoretically, using valsalva or frenzel ear clearing, the difference in depth achieveable between a high-, medium - and low-volume masks are:

High (400ml) ~ 27 % less deep than with no mask
Medium (200ml) ~ 15 % less than with no mask
Low - (100 ml) ~ 8 % less that with no mask

Don't believe the volumes quoted by manufacturers!

I recently bought a Minima, and have used it down to 30m on two separate occasions.

Although the strap is flimsy, it's more reliable than the strap on my Mares Target ( although this seems to be a fault with one of the releases on the MT ).

For me, it's one of the best fitting masks I have owned. I don't know if that's because my face is Minima-shaped, or because of the relatively wide skirt.

A few others I know own these, and rate them as well.

Great

I have a Minima and used to 40 mts.
The principal drawback is that it floods when I wear a Snorkel. but that's not a problem, I use the snorkel just for surface swimiing and predive breathing, and stop fixing it to the mask, just keep it in my mouth.
At depth if you smile or make face movements it's possible that some water gets in.
But I think is a great mask, the better I had. And good for freediving.

The aqualung falco is very similar to the minima, similar volume, similar compressibility, but much wider field of view, and it also has flat glass lenses. It also has a much better strap.

I've seen the straps on 2 minimas snap (including my own).

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Thank you all for the replies. I hope that I will buy a nice fitting, and low volume mask instead of my mask now, that is more "scuba-mask" that I use when I scuba-dive.

/ Zoros

PS. Anyone know what glasses Pipin uses? Aren't the mask without the "nose-thing" and instead of that he use a nose-clip?

Recently Pipin began using fluid goggles. Audrey also began using them before the accident.

I gave them goggles for free as a sponsorship/publicity idea.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Yes. Now I remember that I have read something about those "fluid googles". I believe it was on Pipin's webpage..

BTW, Eric, could you explain to me what the benefits are from empty lung exercise. I have been doing those now for about a month and can today make about 1.10 minutes with 80-100% of my total capacity @ 2,5 meters depth....

I do know that this should simulate a real dive to about 20-30 meters, right?

The reason for being to interested is that I have got an offer. To instruct a diving club's freediving subdivision and start it up so I planning training schedules and would also have some facts about why we exercise like we do :)

PS. A big fan of yours :eek:
You really know what you are talking about..

/ Zoros

Empty lung dives have two main benefits:
1. Increasing rib cage flexibility
2. Strengthening the dive reflex

However, they are dangerous, so you must observe four rules:
1. Never descend to the point of pain
2. Go VERY gradually
3. Always have a buddy watching you
4. If you start coughing or spitting blood upon surfacing, see a doctor and take at least a month off.

When surfacing, do not take a gasping inhale. Take a 1/3 inhale. Stop for a few seconds, then take then remaining 2/3 inhale. This can prevent you from coughing.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

CAUTION

Zoros
Freediving is an extreme and dangerous sport. Instructing a freediving class is big responsibility and should not be taken lightly. I don't want to sound harsh but from your message it sounds like you need to get quite a few things straight before promoting yourself to freedive instructor. Knowledge and second hand information doesn't substitute for experience in this field.

Just a friendly advice
Hydro

justify

>Theoretically...........difference in depth achieveable........

>Low - (100 ml) ~ 8 % less that with no mask

Aloha Ben
If it's not too much trouble, will you please share your calculations with me?
I don't want to argue the number as I came very close (to 8%) after spending a lot of time and a making few assumptions.
Bill
P.S. Great thread.

"Freediving is an extreme and dangerous sport. Instructing a freediving class is big responsibility and should not be taken lightly. I don't want to sound harsh but from your message it sounds like you need to get quite a few things straight before promoting yourself to freedive instructor. Knowledge and second hand information doesn't substitute for experience in this field. "

Hydro, you wont have to worry about that. This class that I will teach is divers (cmas 1-3 stars) and I have not planned to teach them empty lung exercises not until they are really ready for that, if ever.. This is just for my personal training that I use empty lung exercise.

I have been freediving for 2-3 years both dynamic and static, not much to deep-diving yet, haven't got a change to test it seriously.. just around 20 meters..... and before that Im a 2-star CMAS diver with couple of years of experience.

And if there is something that I have learnt from these years that safety is always put first. I never dive/train freediving alone and never push my limits too far.

But I appreciate your concern. I promise you that I and my 2 other partners will take care of them.

On the subject of masks...

I've started to go crazy buying all the low volume masks I can find. I've got about 8 now (including the two scuba masks I had before). I think I'll open a store soon. :)

I liked the Minima at first, but I have constant troubles with leakage. It leaks immediately if I'm using a snorkel, and if I change my facial expression at all it tends to leak. My moustache and beard cause problems sometimes as well. I've pretty much given up on using it.

The Sphera fits very well but it leaks a little when I'm using the snorkel. The distortion is okay in calm water while target diving on a line, but in waves or while sightseeing it can really cause nausea -- and I'm usually pretty resistant to that.

I just got a Mares Target, but it is too narrow for my face to be comfortable.

I have two Sporasub Freedoms. Why? Well the first one fit great, no distortion, great vis, no leaks, solid strap... but they use this special no-fog coating and you're not supposed to touch it, spit in it, or "toothpaste it". It worked great first time out but the second time I wasn't thinking and made the mistake of applying a little "natural defogger". Ever since then it fogs pretty much instantly (literally 10 seconds or less from the time I put it on!). I've tried everything to fix the problem, but finally gave up and bought another one. Hopefully this time I remember.

I just got a Sniper which looks pretty standard, probably medium-to-low volume. Fits well, vis is good but I don't know about leaks yet.

I also got a Futura 1, which is a funky looking mask -- its the one used by Jean Reno in the Big Blue. Couldn't resist that. :) Fits well, low volume, good strap.

Is anyone of the moderators

going to move this thread to the right location.

Rs, gerard.

"I have two Sporasub Freedoms. Why? Well the first one fit great, no distortion, great vis, no leaks, solid strap... but they use this special no-fog coating and you're not supposed to touch it, spit in it, or "toothpaste it". It worked great first time out but the second time I wasn't thinking and made the mistake of applying a little "natural defogger". Ever since then it fogs pretty much instantly (literally 10 seconds or less from the time I put it on!). I've tried everything to fix the problem, but finally gave up and bought another one. Hopefully this time I remember."

A Brownsword,

I bought on www.scubastore.com something called "Sea Gold" and it works perfect every time. Just apply lite on and wash off and no fog after that..

Mafs is ded hard

With an equation that I devised which uses reasonably standard figures for air space volumes. I have sent it to a few people in the past. I can't write the equation out here because of troubles with division signs and spaces but I can send it to you as an excel sheet privately. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll happily send it to you.

Ben

Masks

I bought a Sphera but found I just couldn't stop it from leaking. A day before the 2002 UK comp I replaced it with an Omer Abyss and used it in the comp. The mask was brilliant. I have since then bought a Cressi Minima and love this for deep freediving as seems to be very hydodynamic and it hardly ever leaks, well, only when I smile but then what mask doesn't? I use the Abyss now for spearfishing as it is a little bit tinted. So I suppose it must all be down to the shape of one's face as many people I dive with think that the Sphera is great and never have problems.

I've jsut swapped from a sphera to a minima and so far I prefer it. It is not as soft so you it's easier to get a bit of pressure to equalise against and it doesn't leak as much. AND I can see as the lenses are loads better.

still to try it deeeeeeeeeeep though

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT