• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

crimping without a crimper

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
There is no issue at all with aluminum crimps. As far as holding power long aluminum crimps the type very commonly used in fishing are far superior. First aluminum is soft and more malleable than copper which, is brittle, will crack and cut line. Second, in no way shape or fashion will crimps cause a shaft to rust to the point of damage.

....as far as i remember the content of this thread, nobody here had concerns about the crimps will cause damage to a shaft.
but some mentioned and proved that it is possible that a crimp, most of all aluminium-crimps, can face corrosion and damage through contact with stainless-steel components, wich could be the shaft or the cable used.

I just value safety more than fish I guess. I dont feel I am handicapped much at all by my choice either. Again this is based upon experience. My experience is that the stainless cable not only wraps up a diver, (mono could do this also) it cuts, it cuts through limbs & fingers, etc very efficiently. When you are a few hundred NM from the nearest medical facility even smaller or minor injuries carry much more potential risk. Removing stainless cable is a simple way to remove a serious potential threat with very little reduction in utility.

....have you personal ever experienced such thing ? or have you witnessed or heard of such thing ?
would be intresting to hear about.
this topic is very intresting anyway. think i will start a new thread on it, so we are not derailing this crimp-thread too far....

....as far as i remember the content of this thread, nobody here had concerns about the crimps will cause damage to a shaft.
but some mentioned and proved that it is possible that a crimp, most of all aluminium-crimps, can face corrosion and damage through contact with stainless-steel components, wich could be the shaft or the cable used.

LOL if a person keeps a crimp of any sort on his line for so long as that corrosion would cause damage to the equipment, then that person should take better care of his equipment.

But sorry back to the topic of crimping without a crimper....don't do it. :)

LOL if a person keeps a crimp of any sort on his line for so long as that corrosion would cause damage to the equipment, then that person should take better care of his equipment.
:)

..as you correctly pointing out in your post, corrosion will cause damage to a crimp, think we all agree.
as reported here by some people, aluminium crimps faster then others.
so you also right when you stating that it is important to take better care of the equipment.
but when you write QOUTE : "..keeps a crimp of any sort on his line for so long.."
it does not gives an idea what is "so long" or "too long".
so the questions seems not to be if there is corrosion on the aluminium-crimps, but when and under wich circumstances it will occur. so what is your check-time and maintenance tip ?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT