• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Crystal Lake

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jon

Dairyland diver
Supporter
Apr 7, 2001
My 12 day diving/camping extravaganza was cut short. First, we lost a couple of days on the front end because of My wife's work schedule, and then we lost a good 4 days on the end due to weather. We tried to stick it out in all the rain, but after 3 days of downpour we were down to only two dry sleeping bags between four people. At one point my wife and I were out and 10 pm trying to dig a trench around the tent with our kids sand toys to prevent being completely flooded out!:blackeye In the end, we were saved by our inflatable air mattresses.:)

I did get a chance to swim many lap around Crystal lake. It turns out my Triton Hyperfin is comfortable for hours on end if I wear it barefoot. I had it made to wear with 5mm socks, but that only works for 20 minutes or so. 3mm socks buy me extra time, but the fin really comes into it's own while barefoot. At one point I even put on a tri-suit and my kids Camel-back and did a couple of mile long swim. The system worked out pretty darn well and I was planning on hitting some new lakes when the trip got cut short. As it was I got to swim at least 2 miles a day every day that we were there and found plenty of frogs and turtles to show to my kids.

In the future I found at least 2 different lakes to try a decent hydro-tour on and I'm pretty sure that at least one would work out great for an overnight hydro-tour camping trip. Water temps were around 73F degrees and the thermocline seemed to be at 18'. Vis was decent above the thermcoline and somewhat crappy below.

It seems that they have big plans for Crystal Lake next summer. There is some kind of invasive rainbow smelt living in the bottom of the lake so they want to raise the temperature of the ENTIRE lake to kill them off. They have invented something called a GELI that will not only raise the surface water temp by one to two degrees, but also raise the temperature of the entire bottom of the lake as well! If it works out as planned we could dive warm water down to 67'. This will be a three summer process and it should make no suit diving in this lake quite nice.

The lake itself is pretty much just sand. It makes a great spot to take the kids swimming, and is easy to find lots of lost swimmer stuff, but not a lot of fish are going to be found. Here's a few pictures from the week.

Jon

Attachments

• camping 2010 100.jpg
    camping 2010 100.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 225
  • camping 2010 064.jpg
    camping 2010 064.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 209
  • camping 2010 118.jpg
    camping 2010 118.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 211
  • camping 2010 109.jpg
    camping 2010 109.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 218
  • camping 2010 153.jpg
    camping 2010 153.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 215
A couple more shots from the week. I experimented with my kid's camelback and it seemed to work out pretty well. I may have to buy one for myself so I can pack car keys, food, and a camera in it.

Jon

Attachments

• camping 2010 001.jpg
    camping 2010 001.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 225
  • camping 2010 155.jpg
    camping 2010 155.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC_0755.jpg
    DSC_0755.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC_0754.jpg
    DSC_0754.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 216
  • camping 2010 135.jpg
    camping 2010 135.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 232
I forgot to mention that to you. Crystal is the subject of some major upcoming research. They have been testing the lake mixers in the bogs for the past two years, and are almost ready to start mixing on a "large" scale. It's basically a big parachute with a floatation ring around it. The ring gets inflated and deflated, causing the "parachute" to ascend and decend - carrying top water to the bottom and bottom water to the top.

Nice photos, by the way. You sure know your way around that camera better than I.
Max looks like he's ready for a gun......christmas?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT