• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Current Cayman Reef Condition

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Beaner

Beaner
Apr 18, 2005
I was surfing around for a July vacation & found that Morritt's Grand resort in Grand Cayman is almost finished rebuilding due to hurricane Ivan damage. :hmm Has anyone dived Grand Cayman recently to report on Current reef conditions? Did Ivan destroy the reef as well?

Beaner said:
I was surfing around for a July vacation & found that Morritt's Grand resort in Grand Cayman is almost finished rebuilding due to hurricane Ivan damage. :hmm Has anyone dived Grand Cayman recently to report on Current reef conditions? Did Ivan destroy the reef as well?

hi beaner
you can contact a couple of the dive shops in cayman, they will be happy to give you a report... but i don't think you'll get the real picture as they are hanking for business now.
i have a friend over there, i'll ask him and get back to you.
cheers
island_sands

Beaner said:
Thanks. Keep me posted. Yeah, I am looking for an UNBIASED answer. :cool:

Beaner, as is from my friends email reply:

Hello Sara,I don't think you would notice a difference in the reef now. After the storm, a lot of the sand and small stuff shallow was gone, but now it's all back.

Remember, a hurricane is a natural event and everything
it does to the reef is good. Immediately after the storm, at Dolphin Point, the bottom was sandblasted looking. I mean it was clean, pure white, not a speck of sand or a tiny pebble, pure smooth solid rock. Now all the green plants are back and it's full of tiny fish and those little snail things. (the tiny ones you find piles of, black & white) After 100 feet, even after the storm there was no difference. At West Bay, except for the debris, (all cleaned up now) the reef was OK.

All along SMB was OK. North got hit least and is all OK. I haven't dived south yet, where it was worst. they lost a lot of houses and cars and stuff. I've heard you might find a washing machine or something like that off Bodden Town. The reef is pretty far from shore and deep at the top of the wall there, I haven't heard about an coral damage.

That's my opinion and what I have seen and heard.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the update regarding the Caymans reefs. We decided to go to Ambergris Caye in July. Will get back to the Caymans another time.
:wave

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT