• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Custom wetsuit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I can't answer that question accurately yet as I haven't dived in my suit yet. However, one of the guys in our club used his a few weeks ago and in water temps of 7 c managed to stay in for around 45 minutes....

Up until now I have been freediving in my scuba 6.5mm semi dry suit and have not been any warmer than the freedivers in their 5mm freediving suits....

Hope this helps...

Donna

I didn't get my Elios yet, but I have used an apnea suit (SEPA) a couple of times, and from my expirience any apnea suit is warmer than the equivelant scuba suit.

My suit has been ordered. They did not reply immediately to my email, but it was worth waiting for, excellent advice!

Fabrication should take 15 working days. I'm very curious for the result!

tight around the ears!

Hi
I got my lovely Elios Freedown suit this weekend and tried it for the first time.

It is great - very warm, very flexible, not as fragile as the freeology ones and a perfect fit

only problem is - it is a bit tight around the ears and I am getting hood squeeze as I get deeper.

any ideas on preventing this? the hood is such a good fit, my hairs not getting wet..

I suppose I could make some little holes but its nice and warm right now and I would rather not!

Sam

tight around the ears!

Hi
I got my lovely Elios Freedown suit this weekend and tried it for the first time.

It is great - very warm, very flexible, not as fragile as the freeology ones and a perfect fit

only problem is - it is a bit tight around the ears and I am getting hood squeeze as I get deeper.

any ideas on preventing this? the hood is such a good fit, my hairs not getting wet..

I suppose I could make some little holes but its nice and warm right now and I would rather not!

Sam

tight around the ears!

Hi

Sam

Hood squeeze.

Hood squeez sux. :(
I didn't get my Elios yet (it's all up to DHL now), but what used to do the trick is to intentionally let in some water while still on the surface - filling the ears and surroundings - and yes, your hair will get wet. ;)
Did the job for me on a none-Elios apnea suit.
Hope it works for you.

Hood squeeze is the worst kinda squeeze I ever felt. I really hate it. If I forget to let water in before the first dive, after I get that squeeze I'll have sticky ears for the rest of the day. :hmm

thanks! so now I need ANOTHER flask of hot water! this time for my head!

will try it

Sam

thanks! so now I need ANOTHER flask of hot water! this time for my head!

will try it

Sam

No hot water Sam - there's nothing like a cold flush of water round your ears and in my case, up til now, all over me when my semi flushes with that lovely freezing cold water :D Ah, it'll be so nice not to have that feeling next time I dive....

:D right, forgot that you're water temprature there is lethal.
If you'll use cold water, it'll eventiually warm up.
If you'll use warm water, it'll eventually cool (or freeze ;)).
Both ways you'll end up with the same temprature under your hood after an hour or less I guess.:)

Maybe you should be carefull with using warm fresh water... as it might induce a bacteria growth in your ear canals - warm, have nutriants (you) and no circulation for hours...
I'm just speculating that it might be considered, I always used sea water. Maybe I'm just psyching you up (or down?:confused:).
Anyway, tell me if it works. Happy diving.

Wow..... I used my new Elios suit for the first time today - fantastic is all I can say.

Water was 7 degrees C but with my 5mm freedown on I was warm as toast. We stayed in for an hour but got out as we'd finished what we were doing rather than being cold.

I did get a hood squeeze though, but not straight away. I'd been in about 40 mins before I got a squeeze and ouch, it was quite painful around my right ear. So, next week, I will take Michael's advice and flood my hood before I dive - brrrrr :D

The suit was so comfy and warm I'm even considering buying another one with a lining on the outside to use it for scuba - I was warmer in this suit than I am in my dry suit!!!!!

Donna :)

I had the same problem with my elios: hood squeeze!

there is another simple solution: put in an eyelet on each side of the hood. only a small one of course and you'll be fine!

yours pat

p.s.: did anyone order gloves or socks from elios? I feel toasted like you donna but not on my hands and feet...:(

Thanks for the hood tip Pat - I may have to do that if flushing doesn't work...

My socks were from elios - 3mm smooth skin with a lining on the inside - feet were lovely and warm. Only problem I had was keeping my feet in the foot pocket of my fins. I only have size 3-4 feet and the garas I have are 7-8!! Up til now I've been wearing 4.5mm socks and also using retainers but, I assume as the Elios socks are smooth skin, there's not enough of my foot in the pocket and my feet slip out when I kick!! Not good!

However, I will modify my foot pocket with some offcuts of neoprene and see if that works. If not, not sure what to do - any hints!

I also have 5mm semi dry gloves from scubapro. Fantastic gloves and very warm....

Regards

Donna

that's an easy one Donna - switch to a mono and get one that fits!! will bring a spare this weekend and see how you get on

Sam

Custom Wetsuit: hoodsquese

Hi folks, here another posible solution for the hoodsquese problem:

, put a 2 mm cord/rope arround your head. It should hang over your ears and come out of your hood at arround chic hight. I've got this one of The Belgium freediver Phillipe, who wares his Paradisa nosclip cord over his ears, but is using a normal mask.

Another Idea to protect your ears is to put some vaseline into your ears. This extra fat keeps the cold and dirt outsite. Just use a little, no need to fil the ears :)
Rubbing your face and hands also helps against the cold.

Another great idea I've learned from the Belgium Freedivers, is to use a swimming cap. This may greatly help if you have trouble with your sinuses, in particular if you have the problem that clearing them in cold waters is becoming more difficult or even impossible lateron in a freediveing session. It keeps the head much warmer, and that's importand because about 40% of the bodies warmth is lost though the head.

I still have to save money for mine Ideal Elios suit, and some new socks and gloves too.

Kars.

Thanks Kars.... Sam and I now have lots of ideas to try at the weekend. Will post again on Monday and you know what worked for us...

Donna :)

Once you get an Elios Suit you don't have to bother about getting cold under the hood anymore...

hey Donna - simpy try to buy or borrow a fin that fits - you really might wanna start monofinning. Just in case you're in doubt: even Mandy Rae-C. first wore a mono one month before establishing her world record constant weight dive in march!

By the way: on the video of David Lee's unassisted constant ballast world record in 2002 you can see he's having eyelets in his hood as well...

http://www.apneablue.com/videos/david_51m_ucb_12-7-02.wmv

yours pat

Attachments

• da2.gif
    da2.gif
    44.9 KB · Views: 432
Looks like mono is the only way forward!!! I have used one before and I flew through the water - it was great. Its really been cost and not really knowing what to get thats stopped me buying one. I'll try Sam's at the weekend and see how I go....

Donna

Donna
If you whant a mono get one from Specialfins
I have the blue one and my wife to. You get Omer footpockets 38-40
My wife have shoesize 38 and she can wear the monofin without
Socks but also with 3mm socks.

Specialfins have great Monofins. I was on the way to order c4 falcon but now , after I own a monofin, I will use the money to order a Elios suit (YOU KNOW!!) I have some old Cressi Freefrog fins that are exelent for Pooltraining and Spearfishing.

Lambis

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT