• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

customize swimming goggles for freediving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

seafareria

Jul 14, 2020
Hi guys,
Does anyone use traditional swimming goggles to do freediving?

I mean, I'm gonna learn to perform constant-weight without fins and would like to utilize my current swimming goggles instead of buying a pair of special freediving goggles.
so, actually, my question is:

if I fill the swimming goggles totally with normal saline and wear it to do freediving to depth of ocean, is it doable and completely no problem?
Hope you can give me suggestions please.

Thanks in advance.

But why wear them in the first place if you are going to fill them with saline water? You won't have any better vision? I think I don't understand the question.

Theoretically there should be no problem.
Are you aware that fluidgoggles have a spherical lense to compensate for the refractive difference?

Using swimming goggles (that don't cover your nose) to dive underwater, free or scuba, will make it impossible for you to equalize "mask squeeze" and consequently you will suffer serious injury to your face, eyes and God knows what else in addition to the severe pain that will accompany this tragic, painful and traumatic event.

I don't understand why you want to do this and what you are trying to achieve or prove here except to come out as a grossly uninformed cheap person.

my apologies, i was drunk and didn't state my question precisely.

just wanna know whether filling water into the swimming goggles completely can solve the equalization problem of goggles or not, and whether this method is safe for free-diving or not?
(regardless of vision problem, i knew that human eyes cannot see through water clearly)

is such way equivalent to fluid goggles???

my apologies, i was drunk and didn't state my question precisely.

just wanna know whether filling water into the swimming goggles completely can solve the equalization problem of goggles or not, and whether this method is safe for free-diving or not?
(regardless of vision problem, i knew that human eyes cannot see through water clearly)

is such way equivalent to fluid goggles???

Why do you want to do this?? Why just not use goggles?

Yes it would work. It would completely remove the necessity for mask equalising. But as others mentioned, you won't see better than with no mask unless you use shaped lenses to counter the refraction of the water. If blurred vision isn't an issue, then go completely without goggles or mask, sea water doesn't hurt.

i found this video and seems interesting
its in korean but the outline is in english
and you can pretty much guess what he's doing
he said that any ready made goggles that doesnt take into account the gap between eyes for invidual divers is a scam
and you're better off making your own

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT