• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cutting a rubber belt down to size

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jamie Bell

Mar 5, 2018
With apologies in advance for asking a stupid question.

After much research I have just purchased (and received) my first rubber weight belt (Marseillaise style, metal buckle and holes). None of the belts I researched had sizing (presumably because it's a function of (1) waist size (2) suit thickness - albeit probably marginal, and (3) the amount of weight you are carrying.

I have a size 32" waist, and the belt I received is huge (as in long)! I assume it is standard practice to load it up with the maximum weight you might use, re-measure yourself and cut it to size, punching any additional holes that are required.

Am I right? Or are there usually sizing guides I should have consulted before rushing to purchase?

I'm happy to get cutting, but might consider exchanging if I have missed something fundamental...

I have a size 32" waist, and the belt I received is huge (as in long)! I assume it is standard practice to load it up with the maximum weight you might use, re-measure yourself and cut it to size, punching any additional holes that are required.

That is correct. They all come way too long for any diver I've met. Just be sure to leave plenty of extra to make it easy to grab if you need to ditch the belt. I think mine may be hanging out about 12" or so, but of course that is personal preference.

One caution about punching extra holes. In the past I've had Rob Allen rubber belts, and after punching holes the the holes spread and tore the belt. Presently I have the newer green Rob Allen belt, made of urethane as I recall. I checked with other divers who said that I could get away with punching holes, and they were right. The hole hasn't spread. Some people recommend using a cartridge- I forget what caliber- but I have a set of hole punches that you hit with a hammer, and that has worked well.

Thanks Bill, that's reassuring. Punching holes is the bit that worried me. I was wondering whether punching them with a hot implement might help. My belt is a Cressi. It looks pretty heavy duty, but I shall proceed with caution and report back the results.

Thanks again for replying.

I think I recall punching holes with a hot soldering iron, but I'm afraid that I can't recall whether or not that worked better.

Reactions: Jamie Bell
I have been using the Cressi marseillaise belt for about 4yrs now and punching holes was no problem at all. I have one of those cheap leather belt hole-punchers and used the largest setting - no tearing even after 4yrs of almost daily use. And yes, I had to chop off about 18" of length as I am also 32" waist.

Reactions: Jamie Bell
1. When measuring the belt also be sure to have your wet suit on.
2. I use a drill to make holes - but caution - the drill bit will want to "grab" the rubber and the whole belt will try to torque and spin. You must have the belt securely held before drilling.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT