• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cutting Divinycell HCP for a Float

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Sep 20, 2016
Hi everyone,

I’m taking some time to comb through my bluewater rig. I want to move from my current dual high pressure inflatables to a solid float trailed by a high pressure inflatable

I’ve got a design and dimensions that I want to work with, and am fairly narrowed-in on my material. I’m looking at using Divinycell HCP50 or H250 (both 15.6 lb foam) due to their resistance to compression and durability; the latter of which could allow me to toss the float into a check-in duffel bag without worry of the float getting destroyed by the airlines (at least, from what I’m told!)

I’ve never worked with this material before so I wanted to see if you all have any insights. How hard is it to cut and sand to a final form? How would you recommend shaping HCP50/H250?

Hacksaw blades and sandpaper (on boards, dowels and in hand) works great. Are you going to cover it with fiberglass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hacksaw blades and sandpaper (on boards, dowels and in hand) works great. Are you going to cover it with fiberglass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A big reason I was hoping to go the Divinycell HCP50 or H250 route was to avoid fiberglassing the float. My main fear is in a glassed float getting damaged by the airlines in a large, soft, checked-in duffel bag while traveling. At least to my knowledge, the 15.6+ lb/ft^3 PVC foam is tough enough to handle that level of abuse (this line of thinking is based upon this thread: https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/divinycell-floats.64916/post-582825. Please correct me if I'm wrong! Again, I've never worked with this high of density PVC foam before)

Hence why I was concerned about the cutability and workability of the material: if HCP50/H250 is so tough, I have concerns on how to go about cutting it. But you believe that something as simple as a hacksaw and sandpaper should do the trick?

Reactions: Mr. X
I used to deal with high-density foam back in a days when I was more into RC planes. Keep in mind that foam may be hard and heavy, and resist compression, but may not be able to handle the stress at the attachment point of your float line. You pretty much need to encase it in fiberglass, unless float line will be more of a feed through with large washer at the other end. This will change the load from tensile stress, which foam can't handle, into compression.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT