• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

cyprus

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

pburgess

Oct 5, 2003
Anyone available to dive in Cyprus. I'm in Larnaca but particuarly enjoy the sea at Cape Greco/Konos Bay. I'm an advanced beginner if that makes sense. Don't dive deep cause I don't have a buddy.

Hi pburgess,

There are many freedivers in your area. There is a dive shop called Blue Thunder in Limassol, Mike is the owner. He and a friend named Savva Savvas live in Limassol and dive all over. Maybe you can look them up. There is going to be a freediving competition in June put on by Freediver Mag http://www.freediver.co.uk and covered by this forums "Top Dog" Stephen Whelan. It is open to all experience levels so don't be shy. It's very good fun and the after party is sponsored by Keo, all the beer you can drink for free.:duh

Good Luck

DSV

Thanks very much. I run a dive club in the American Academy Larnaca where I teach. It's 6:00am here so I'll track down Blue Thunder a little later in the day!

I've been in touch with Howard re the competition and the kids and I have been invited to come over and meet the competitors etc. Realy looking forward to that. Thanks for your encouragment to compete.

My needs are [if anyone in Cyprus is reading this]...

i) buddy for safety and dive session logging
ii) training and certification so hopefully I can start teaching beginner courses to the kids myself and hopefully move on to intermediate...this will take time and regular open water sessions [so the need for a buddy again ]so that I have skills for rescues etc.
iii) I've got great friends at one dive centre in Larnaca for boats etc. but they are very professional so obviously wouldn't want me just jumping in the water with a bunch of kids but very willing to support freediving for the Club.

I've had a number of tentative offers from people coming to Cyprus do trainng. I know a few speeros but if I can now get connected with the more serious freedivers here it may make running some of the training viable.

Yes, I know it's weird to live on a small island and not know the other divers but I guess this is what forums like this are for.

Thanks very much and anyone else in Cyprus PLEASE post a reply so I can join you.

Thanks again.

Be safe,

paul

HI Paul
I know we talked a while ago. Are you a PADI Instructor yet? I have my freediving speciality courses approved and if so will happily run through them and how to apply to teach them with you when I'm over in June. There from 10-20th June

Sam

Hi paul,

I am also looking for freediving course, if you find one let me know too.;)

Does Turkish cypriots needs license to dive there?

Hi Sam!

Not an instructor yet by a long way. I do however have a mate who is a PADI instrutor who has something of an interest in freediving and an impressive PB. I'll let him know if you wouldn't mind running thru it with him. Actually he took some of the freedivers onto the Zenobia last year so you may run into him anyway.

Hope we'll get to meet you anyway in June.

Thanks a lot,

paul

Hi Murat!

No license for diving for Turkish Cypriots or anyone else. My favourite area is Cape Greco just a bit south of Famagusta.

Should have some very exciting news re training here in Cyprus. Just want to get things confirmed and I'll let you know what's happening.

Still need a buddy and hence my origianl post. I reckon you're about half my age so I may not be ideal for you...however I'm training hard and am fitter than a lot of 41-year-olds.

We MUST meet up.

paul

Hi Paul,
It looks like you have a some cool things going on in Cyprus. I hope all works out for you my friend.
Later,
Israel

Hi Paul

I will let you know if i go there for diving. I live in famagusta. I am also plannig to watch the freediving tournament in june..

Cya later...

Murat,

I've visited Famagusta several times. Really like the old city.

I'll let you know next time I'm coming up if you've got half an hour to spare. Are you studying at the EMU?

Bit cold and rough for diving right now but let me know. I'm getting withdrawals from about 3 weeks out of the sea.

I'd emphasise that I am more of an advanced beginner than a seasoned freediver so if we're going to be able to resuce each other don't have to high expectations with depth. Still it's a beautiful area. Have you dived there before? Where are you favourite areas in the north. I dived at a lovely beach east of Kyrenia. Not deep but lots of fish.

Definitely heading over to Limassol in June.

We should have some training in place at Konos Bay around Easter time - thats c. 9-15 April. The hope is to make this a bicommunal event. One of the trainers is coming from Turkey. It's primarily a school event and that can include older students and of course no problem for others to attend. Do you have freediving friends? Sorry about being a bit vague about details. Just need to confirm with the visting trainers that I can publicise on DeeperBlue given some of the sensitivites here.

If you send me an email I can fill you in a little better. Or email me you're number and I'll give you a call.

Talk soon,

paul

Talk soon...

Originally posted by pburgess
Murat,

I've visited Famagusta several times. Really like the old city.

I'll let you know next time I'm coming up if you've got half an hour to spare. Are you studying at the EMU?

Bit cold and rough for diving right now but let me know. I'm getting withdrawals from about 3 weeks out of the sea.

I'd emphasise that I am more of an advanced beginner than a seasoned freediver so if we're going to be able to resuce each other don't have to high expectations with depth. Still it's a beautiful area. Have you dived there before? Where are you favourite areas in the north. I dived at a lovely beach east of Kyrenia. Not deep but lots of fish.

Definitely heading over to Limassol in June.

We should have some training in place at Konos Bay around Easter time - thats c. 9-15 April. The hope is to make this a bicommunal event. One of the trainers is coming from Turkey. It's primarily a school event and that can include older students and of course no problem for others to attend. Do you have freediving friends? Sorry about being a bit vague about details. Just need to confirm with the visting trainers that I can publicise on DeeperBlue given some of the sensitivites here.

If you send me an email I can fill you in a little better. Or email me you're number and I'll give you a call.

Talk soon,

paul

Talk soon...

Hi Paul,

I am student in EMU. Now i have final exams and weather is too bad. I couldn't get in water more than 2 month. Just waiting the weather to calm down. I generally dive in Famagusta in shallow water since i don't have regullar dive buddy, but i will try some deeper dives in near future with experianced spero friends. They are some good speros. Yesterday i heard some dude made aspetto ( hunting style, waiting in the bottom) at 30 meter deep and got 9kg dentex.:cool: This news motivates me to do so...
We can do some shallow shore dives..I know some good places for that, with lots of turtle and so...

I heard Yasemin Dalkýlýc and Rudi will come to the cyprus (probably larnaca) to give course. I guess it will be in summer season.

You can find my e-mail adress in profile section. Just click the button below... We can meet soon even we can dive.

DSV,

Thanks so much for the lead. I called Blue Thunder this morning and got to speak with Mike who was very helpful. They have things well organised over at Limassol. He also gave me a contact in Nicosia.

But things get better...I foudn out about a group doing apnea at one of the gyms in Larnaca. 25m pool. One of the guys is doing 100m dynamic and 5min static.

Murat,

I sent an email to the HotMail address in your profile but don't think you can have received it. If it doesn't show up can you email me. If you want include a number where I can call you.

I'd love to dive in the locations you mention.

I can fill you in on the rumours!!

Best wishes,

paul

hi

Hey ..I want to be in cyprus too ( para cojer el curso de freediving)... ... im just kidding.....

blessing to all ..keep the good work muchachos

Daniel

Psa 33:6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

Last edited:
Paul,

I'm glad I could help, the guys at BT were very good and they have good operation.

Good luck on your quest.

DSV

mr Burgess its Martin Ex Dive In instructor, finally i can find the time to start with theses forum :) hope everything is going well, i am working for adam mastris now and waiting the arrival of our first son. How is the free diving going? i rememer once we where talking about messuering lung volume i found some things on the net if you are still interested. Im finally going to concentrate on my freediving now how did your course go with (i forget her name) was it worth doing? what depth are you at now? take care martin .

mjgrove@cytanet.com.cy

Wel hello Mr Grove - how you doing??? Long time no see :) Paul and I will be getting together early on in the new year to sort out some training schedules etc and we hope to get some lines in at Konos as well... fab news that you want to crack on with freediving now..... I've not done that much traning this year for one reason or another so am keen to get back in, get fit and have some fun..... I can put you through AIDA ** whenever you're ready :)...

I'm back in Cyprus on the 5th Jan - will be in touch then. Good luck with the new arrival.....

Donna

donna_ryan44@hotmail.com

thanks for your reply donna that was it couldnt remember what it was!!!!!! we are now moving to macenzy area with own pool. work is going ok 10 more weeks until my baby son is born let me know when your back i hear you want to start spear fishing aswell?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT