• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

D3 date/time problem

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
The battery appears on the dial when the battery is about to die.

At least thats how it is on the D3

Change it

I bought the "Stinger" just after it came out, and it didnt take long until I had to change the battery...and then it didnt take long again, so I asked the people in finland and they said a fresh battery would last at least two years in watch-mode but only about 100 hours in dive-mode becouse the computerside of it pulls so much more current...100 hours is a lot for anyone doing scuba, wich it was designed for, but for a freediver going to the pool a few times a week, it isnt.... other than that, it has been completly reliable..never any troubles at all, and i do most of my diving in swedish waters ( 4C below 10meters even in late summer)
...I guess my point is that, if you dive a lot. get one of the models where you can replace the battery yourself ( D3 or mosquito? )...battery consumtion IS an issue for us freedivers in a way that it isnt for the scubydoers...over a year, most of us spend many more hours in the water...

Johan

i changed the battery of my D3 a few days ago and tested it on a deep/long dive today (new PB in fact :) ) and it was fine - no problem at all. hopefully that will be the end of the problem. i will make a point of changing the battery/lid every 6 months from now on, before any problems develop. it's probably a wise precaution, considering they only cost $10.

i am buying one too, just waiting for the blue ones to dicide whether orange or blue. Orange seems like good but i am worry about if it scares the dentex:D Man i becoming mad again.

By the way, i witnessed the firt dentex "FATALITY" yesterday.:cool:

DON'T BUY!

yesterday my other mosquito broke down after 2 months of use! after a warmup dive to 25m the display read 11.9 m, 0:16 sec. no changes of time etc, no button would reset it to any other mode. the display basically froze .
no changes today.

i really look forward to another interesting stunt when claiming the thing on warranty.

now, after both(!) my mosquitos broke down succesfully (both within a few months after purchasing) i hereby declare the suunto mosquito:

MY MOST USELESS PIECE OF EQUIPMENT EVER!!

i'm seriously pissed off, and now i'm off to write to the company.

regards

roland

my update:

i've now done a few long dives after changing the battery in my D3, and i'm pleased to report that it's been perfectly fine. i've had no problems since.

it's strange how some people have endless problems with their Suuntos whilst others are fine. obviously cold can explain some problems - battery life etc.

i had a mosquito for at least a year before i got my D3 and i never had a single problem with it.

to those who had many problems...
...do you soak your wacht in fresh water after diving in the ocean?
I could see how a build up of salt crystals could mess with the deth censor...or do they fail both when diving in fresh water and salt water?

Johan

I'm sorry to hear that Roland. :(
Between you and Linda it's probably the fourth? fifth replacement?

Maybe those finnish products are just not made to stand a long duration in the temperatures you have there in Dahab (40c+).
Though it's defenitly their fault if it is...

Last edited:
With all the athletes present at the 2004 Worlds in Vancouver, I have learned important info about the Suunto D3 from the Greek team.

Check your D3. Is the BASE (bottom) of the D3 black? If not, you have a first generation D3 which is prone to countless problems and will fail eventually. The 2nd generation D3 has a base which is black, which is a separate part from the top (blue/orange), in fact the bottom of the 2nd generation D3 is the same or similar to the base of the mosquito.

All my D3's which have failed (as well as those of my friends), are 1st generation D3's which have blue bottoms ('blue back').

If you have a 1st generation D3, you can send it to Suunto and they will automatically replace it with a 2nd generation computer without even testing your unit.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

You can also tell the generation of the Mosquito by the colors of the scales in the display.
The 1st generation has green/yellow scales, and the 2nd one has red/grey.

From what I remember, Bevan has the first generation mosquito which still works and has been to considerable depths, and Roland has the second generation mosquito, so it's not a fullproof way of telling their credibility. The D3 story is probably the same.

All the greeks had problems with their 1st generation D3's and none have had any problems with their 2nd generation ones, so hopefully that's an indication that the 2nd generation fixes most of the problems. Surely it can't get any worse than the 1st generation ones.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

interesting...

i have a 1st generation D3 - blue back. i bought it around 2 years ago. the only problem i've had with it is the recent default-date-reset problem, which seems to have been fixed by changing the battery.

it would be interesting to know what are the actual differences between the 2 generations. i.e. what exactly did they 'fix'.

everybody buys one cause it seems like there is not much you can do.

i somehow refuse to believe that i have to continue getting disappointed and frustrated and talking about it as if everything was normal. it's not.

of all divers i talked about there are more than half who have problems with those watches.

it's about time there are some good alternatives to mosquitos/d3 on the market.

lucky you guys who get replacements without any delays and everyone who never had a problem with.

enjoy while it lasts

roland

Which part supposed to be black? Screen? Does anyone has a picture of it? I am getting one this week...:hmm

Hey guys, I know this thread is a little old but I only had my D3 since September 07, I dive in KZN, Durban and so its mostly above 20c. My battery meter shows me that I still have full battery but my unit resets if I do one of two things, 1. use the stop watch function (time up) or 2. I dive. It resets to the same time as you guys are talking about. batteries are not cheap and mine is still full.

My unit is still under warranty (I hope, i bought it from the states) and so I'm going to try take it to suunto in JHB and maybe they can "fix" the problem.

It is quite annoying and it has only started doing it recently (I've had for only 7 months).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT