• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Damn Shark Week!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
zeN said:
A powehead is a device that is designed to hold a cartridge, that screws on your spear shaft, upon striking the target the round is fired, resulting in the bullet and gases violently striking the prey; often used for large or dangerous prey, e.g., sharks, alligators, etc. :) hope that helps:) zeN

Thanks for that.....I've heard the name used quite a bit, but didn't have a clue... Cheers, Ed.

zeN said:
Well freedom does pose certain risks and responsibilities, we Americans would no more allow our goverment to emasculate us by confiscating our right to firearms than we would give up our freedoms, but this doesn't have anything to do with spearfishing so I will abstain from further comment, no offense to the Australian spearos in here:) zeN

In Mexico the guns are banned, you just can't get a 22 rimfire cartridge because it is illegal. I wonder why are the streets so full of AK47's then, last month a friend of mine was killed by a blast of the infamous "cuerno de chivo" ( the folk name to the legendary assault rifle, that means goat horn, cause the shape of the clip) , in front of a disco parking lot. The assasins got away and nobody knows about it.. but get a PH to defend yourself against a predator and you will be prosecuted as a criminal .... The PPD and PH, are in my opinion the best defensive use for a bullet... hands down, anyway i will get my chances anytime with a real shark instead to be helpless victim of the street sharks ...

hmmm - I love shark week!

Recently, I was out surfing with about 40 of my not-so-cosest-friends, when what appeared to be a small Blue Shark attacked a seagull.It turned into a 5 minute battle, which the bird finally lost. When I turned around, the crowd had thinned by about half, and some of the remaining crew were not to keen on paddling outside! Afraid of being "eaten" by a full bellied 1meter blue shark! I love Shark (Misinformation) Week! Enjoy :p

Reactions: island_sands
sharks are grossly over rated. forget the sharks, enjoy the dive. sharks get curious. get back in your boat and move elseware. simple as that.

thank you amphibious. that is exactly what you do. in RI, we dont have too many sharks (or at least where i dive). when i was about 7 or 8, i was fooling around with a mask and snorkel and i dived down to about 9 feet off a sandy beach, and i saw 3-4 small little sandsharks no bigger than 3 feet eating a flounder on the bottom, they were ripping it apart! i got so scared i swam as fast as i could back to shore and i ran all the way to my parents car and i wouldnt come out for another 2 hours! hahaha looking back on that, i only wish i had a speargun to take one of those guys home with me. :D

Probably better that you didn't. Sand sharks taste like weakfish soaked in pee!!:yack

``Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.''Winston Churchill

crusty said:
We supported Our Government taking guns away, its hard to shoot someone when you havnt got a gun and thats not a bad thing.
Gun deaths in Australia last year about 30 gun deaths in the USA ???
Go Figure

Crusty

a bit off subject but couldn't resist... living in one of the states with the most lax gun laws and the least amount of crime.

What about Ausies crime statistics.. what's happened to them since the guns were banned? Just curious..
Here's what I found on the net... you can believe everything on the net can't you?
Countrywide, homicides are up 3.2 percent;

Assaults are up 8.6 percent;

Amazingly, armed robberies have climbed nearly 45 percent;

In the Australian state of Victoria, gun homicides have climbed 300 percent;

In the 25 years before the gun bans, crime in Australia had been dropping steadily;

There has been a reported "dramatic increase" in home burglaries and assaults on the elderly.

But surely the definition of a gun CRIME will be affected with a change in the law. eg home defense is allowed under law, yet when the ban is imposed, that becomes a crime.

Just putting ideas out there... i am a fellow hunter myself, hunting most weekends (either with the speargun, the rifle or the 12g :D ), so am not looking for arguments... just like to discuss things :)

Huw

It's true that new laws can 'create' new crime. Conversely, changes in law can make it seem as though crime is dropping simply by calling it by another name.

In the case of those OZ statistics, only a few would be affected by the ban. The most affected looks like Victoria's 300% increase, since any fatal shooting may be considered a homicide, even in self-defense. I'm not sure, because I don't know the laws, but that may well be the case. There are instances here in California where you lose the right to self-defense:rcard even if the shooting was entirely defensive.

Reactions: Huw
I think the best thing is if i sit back and watch this discussion, as the last thing people enjoy is a person partaking in a debate when they are not familiar with the location in question :).

I am enjoying the thread and the different points of view.

I just wish that more people could understand the responsible use and practice of firearms here in the uk, without the word gun being tinted as taboo.

Interesting points though batray, and i agree with you that no one should be deprived of the right to selfdefense.

Huw

zeN said:
I take issue with those odds, if you are a spearo in the water with wiggling bloody fish on your belt you are in one of the highest categories of risk, you will CERTAINLY have sharks investigating you closely, whereas the average person never ever sees one in the wild
zeN

Average person here. Been diving nearly 10 years and have only seen Nurse sharks and 2 Whale sharks which would be an even rarer occurence for most. Been on dives when Bulls were sighted but moved off by the time I got there.

The case here in California is due to the (relatively) new handgun laws. As of several years ago, you are only allowed to go through a dealer if you want to buy or sell a handgun. This also means that handgun transfers are on file with the government. If you don't go through a dealer, you lose the right to self-defense with that handgun. It's a shame, if you ask me :(. No matter, a 12-gauge will do more damage anyway.

You do have a point, Huw. I'm not from Australia, but I did study criminal justice for five years. One of the things they teach you is that statistics don't necessarily point to causes. They are more likely to point to correlations. Other factors may be present that influence the rise in crime, such as an overall increase in population, a change in the demographics, or many others. Homicides are up, but are they gun-related?

This is a mild version of devil's advocate, since I love guns and wish that California wasn't so restrictive.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT