• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dangerous.?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

speedoglyn

Glyn
Nov 22, 2005
:cool: I saw a program the other day on TV, it said that holding your breath increases the risk of cardiac arrest, now im scared to practise diving incase it happens to me! How safe is it can you tell me! This guy on TV had choked on his gum and his heart stopped but they took him to hosp. and was ok in the end. They used to teach us underwater swimming at school so it cant be that bad can it? cheers.

Thats kind of unnerving, makes one think twice about doing something. maybe its only for people who have hypertension? :mute

Reactions: Erik
What program was that?

Im not a doctor so I may be wrong but I think the extreme stress and panic on a persons body in the case of choking on something would cause the problem.

I don't think breath hold and choking are relative in this instance especially since you are trying to relax for breath holds. just my opinion.

dive safe and chew your food. :duh :duh

It certainly makes me think twice about freediving while chewing on gum.

Hey cantshoot, I think the program I saw was called Trauma on BBC3 but I guess u dont get that in Honolulu. There was this cool program a couple of yrs ago on channel-4 all about freedivers and decompression tank stuff, this crazy doc was trying to invent this new thing for submarine escapers and there were these 2 freedivers who volunteered to do experiments, they cud hold their breaths for 6mins or something like that they had heart monitors on and the doc didnt see anything wrong, I remember one of the guys was in this lab holding his breath and he started swallowing after a few mins and the doc says 'thats interesting' thats all i remeber

speedoglyn said:
:, now im scared to practise diving incase it happens to me! How safe is it can you tell me!

It's too dangerous. Never do it. Don't bother to read any of the 1000's of posts on this; the premium freediving website on the planet. Don't use the 'search' function on this website or do any research of your own.
TV is always right and always explains every scenario to its full potential.

Stay safe, stay home,
Erik Y.

;)

Reactions: samdive
Whether it is dangerous or not, I guess we'll have to wait until there's a freediving documentry on the Simpsons.

...and by the way, Said (Freediver81) is the only guy we let use that many excalamation points (2 or more) in 1 post.
Peace,
Erik Y.

please please please can I teach Lisa Simpson to freedive! She would be ace! just think about the diaphragm control from all the sax playing... I feel a new thread coming on.. which cartoon characted do you think would be the best breath holder? (dolphins don't count)

anyway I strongly suspect speedo glyn is made up. No one in the UK (apart from real serious freedivers and I know most of them) wears speedos.

said that holding your breath increases the risk of cardiac arrest,
________

at the contrary- taking a deep breaht when some feel they are going to have a heart atack help them - I think so-

What do you mean Im made up? I use our local pool and you would look really weird if you wore a wetsuit or whatever your supposed to wear, we are nowhere near the sea. OK sometimes I have these baggy water shorts but thats cos theyve got a pocket for me locker key.

Reactions: mia
I have no idea of who you are but any real man should be able to wear his banana hammock (speedos) with style ;) .

Mia
DBs Speedo defender

Reactions: Adrian
definitely Abraham Simpson (grandpa simpson)

His head is like a missile with perfect hydrodynamic properties. And his body uses very little O2 since half of his body doesn't work anyway. :duh :duh

ooooooo common u guys everybody knows cartoon characters dont breathe.

but if they do i'm votin for sponge bob!

No doubt:

AQUAMAN

the rightful king of Atlantis, son of Queen Atlanna and Atlan the Wizard.

Attachments

• Aquaman hoy.gif
    Aquaman hoy.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT