• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dangerous.?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Cold water divers, you just dont get it. Mask/snorkel/long fins and a speedo in 85 degree water, you feel like a seal!

Just hope the seals keep out of your way.

That's the similarity between Walrusses and Tupperware, they both like a tight seal.

I dated an exercise physiologist a while back who was involved in some research on the response of the heart to breath hold. She said that there is a slightly delayed increase in blood pressure which reduces as the breathold continues (I believe it would reach zero if held long enough).

The purpose of the study was for sleep apnea sufferers, so basically people who do a mix of static and dynamic apnea all night every night. Eventually they develop chronic high blood pressure due to over activation of whichever nerve it is that causes the momentary rise in blood pressure during the apnea (I'm an engineer, not a doctor).

She said that she agreed that the cardio benefits of breath hold diving would most likely outweigh any negative effects on this nerve.

Last edited:
kmo said:
She said that there is a slightly delayed increase in blood pressure which reduces as the breathold continues (I believe it would reach zero if held long enough).
I try to stop before my blood pressure reaches zero, unless I know my buddy is trained in CPR. ;)

Or is it that the increase reduces until the blood pressure is stable?

Lucia

Yes, the blood pressure stabilises. As you say, I would recommend breathing prior to blood pressure reaching zero.
My dry Aussie sense of humour requires that I don't follow my sarcastic remarks with winks or laughing faces, but being from the Mother Country I'm sure you can relate to that.

I put the smiley face because otherwise someone is bound to say "I followed your advice, ie to hold my breath until my blood pressure reaches zero, and I ended up in intensive care for a week".

Dunno what HBF is either, sounds like a cable channel.

I dont want to injure meself permanently, just like havin fun underwater etc! Also pretty cool to always win a breath-holding competition with my mates! Anyhow has anyone seen my new profile pics what d'you think one is pool meditation which I like cos the water in a swimming pool is WARM thats nicer maybe why i dont have a wetsuit only SPEEDOS LOOK AT MY USERNAME!! I realy like swimming first and foremost but would love to compete in freediving if I can practice first so anyone in UK please message me if your near.

Reactions: naiad
HBF is a health insurance agency. Their ad campaign is "Are you with HBF?"

I grew up with a guy that eventually got into Base jumping when he was in his 20's. At the time of his death Dwain was regarded as the best in the world. They are certainly a different breed of people.

Give me blue waters over blue skies any day!

Don't know where this physiologist got this thing about falling BP from ?

I've seen graph's from people doing apnea (eg Dr Peter Lindholm's research), both static and under exercise. The Blood Pressure INCREASES as the heart rate decreases towards the end of the breathold. This won't happen for someone holding their breath for a few minutes, only happens once blood O2 is really dropping. For example in my case on a static O2 saturation doesn't fall below resting until at least 3.30 on say a 7 minute breathold. The real bradycardia (drop in heartrate) doesn't happen until the last 2-3 minutes. That's when you would likely see an increasing BP.

I would say perhaps there is a risk for someone unhealthy eg very high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease etc that doing long breatholds they could have a chance of a stroke or heart atack when their BP skyrockets at the end.

Ben, glad to know you finally got yourself some new budgy smugglers dude !
You know it's long overdue when parts of them become see thru. :naughty

Cheers,
Wal

Walrus said:
Ben, glad to know you finally got yourself some new budgy smugglers dude !
You know it's long overdue when parts of them become see thru. :naughty
Wal

Hey - I had some great times in those speedos... ah the memories.

I wouldn't say I was superstitious, but I haven't done a decent dynamic since I got the new ones! Hmm, maybe they're too tight....:vangry

BennyB said:
Hey - I had some great times in those speedos... ah the memories.

Sorry about the question, but are you obsessed with speedos?.....rofl

jpelorat said:
Sorry about the question, but are you obsessed with speedos?.....rofl

Good god no, I just grew to love that particular pair.

Let's be clear here. I AM NOT A SPEEDO FREAK!!!!!

Watts is though:D

speedoglyn said:
OK addition to my post, Ive just joined another discusion group all about weight training and muscle toning, but in the new members page they were all rude about me saying I was skinny!!

Hi Glyn,

I am also a bit skinny. Most people mocking about it are just jealous! The've eaten to much fish and chips!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT