• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DCS in 20' of water?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

deeperthebetter

Mar 5, 2003
Has anyone heard of anyone getting bend while only diving in 20' of water in a 3 hour span? :crutch I thought in theory that you could bubble up in water that shallow, but would take longer than 3 hrs. Any replys welcome.

Hi,

I have heard of many cases of DCI in relatively shallow water, anything up to 12 meters (about 36 feet).
It has, almost without fail, always been related to a PFO and sometimes means that the diver cannot continue diving without surgery to close the hole.
Divers can often continue diving with a PFO and not experience problems until they do a provocative dive profile; they will never know that they have one! But, if the hole is more significant, they will often experience problems at these shallower depths. Certainly, if someone experiences DCI at the depth you mention, a PFO needs to be ruled out.

Dive Safe,
Jeannette

There are also cases of diver getting DCI after multiple ascents from as little as 5m. These tend to be divers working at fish farms or dive instructors doing multiple dives/ascents.

Yep, heard of it and witnessed it. I still consider it a pretty bizarre incident. A fellow instructor and I were doing a rescue class. I had done two or three previous dives that day, one being a deco. The student hadn't done any. 20 feet for about 20 minutes with minimal freediving (15-20 ft) afterwards and exactly the same for me. A few hours later she was showing signs and we ended up taking her to the chamber after much consideration. She was okay and later her doctor said she would be cleared to dive again. That's the short story. Dehydration and stress may have played a role. Still a strange incident, but it does happen. Always good to remember that the tables and computers represent models, but offer no guarantees.

Cheers,

M-2

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT