• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Decongestants?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

hardhat

Jun 21, 2005
Does any one here use decongestants for their sinuses and nasel passages when diving? If you do, what kind do you find the most effective? How often do you use them?

Well, I've been told that traditional decongestants such as Dristan tend to speed your heart rate up, so they're not good for freediving.

However, I have used Afrin nasal spray with varying success. If you freedive competitively, I'm told that Afrin meets requirements as to not give you a postive doping test, so it's legal to use in competition. All this was told to me over a year ago, so don't take it as scripture! ;)

When the sinuses get sticky, I worked out a routine that always helps at least enough to be a safety diver (allow 15-20 meter dives).
Every day I use a saline solution in a spray bottle and try to force a little into the sinus passages. Just before entering the water, fill up the nasal passages with the solution and again force some into the sinus openings. If there is any congestion, use Afrin the day before diving. About one hour before getting into the water, take 2 Sudafed. I'm sure that this will affect the heart rate but for me it's too little to measure and is a lot less disruptive than stopping to clear on the way down.
Another thing that seems to help is a different procedure for the first dive. I pull down to 15 meters very slowly and spend a few minutes there, upright. When I get to the surface, I carefully rinse out the nasal passage.
I hope your problem isn't as bad as mine but this will give you a few ideas to try. To think that 30 years ago I didn't know about sinuses and all I ever did was open my eustachian tubes and swim down as fast as I wanted.
Aloha
Bill

One other thing I'd strongly advise...use a neti pot the night before diving. This really cleans out your sinuses. Just do a search in these forums for some neti pot info, that should help. :cool:

I used to get sinus blockage/squeeze all the time which would drive me crazy underwater. :waterwork
I was hesistant to use drugs like Afrin on what I knew had to be a regular basis. Take a look at this device - It washes out your sinuses and has really made a difference for me. Its a bit pricey, but I think its worth it for the long haul - especially to keep your nose and sinuses healthy. :cool:

http://www.pharmacy-solutions.com/order.htm

psudoepherdrine like the stuff in sudafed does slightly speed up your heart rate, but not to much if it is taken as prescribed. However, expect to be way burnt out and fatiged after a long dive when taking it.
If its a bit of congestion that clears up every now and then, take only one if you can try coz often you will clear up once to get out in the ocean. If it is a full-on head cold and you are totally blocked up i'd advise you against diving coz your performance will be shit with or without decongestants
peace.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT