• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Deep Sea Creatures washed up in Phuket

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Murat said:
Some of them have flashlight things to attract their preys :)
Triplewart Seadevil :)
ccouesii2.jpg
ccoushd2.jpg

My theory explains the obviously larger ratio of tooth-size/fish-size in deep sea fishes by the works of natrual selection:
Since they pretty much see nothing (but phosphorous prey/traps) they can't aim their bites well, so they increase their skewering chance that way. :)

hey i wonder........
how can the tsunami afect the deep water????
i anderstand that only the surface is moving someting like 10m no more
so how we can explain the fact those Deep Sea Creatures washed out
it seem a bit waired to me
mustangmermaid said:
b. Could they have been brought ashore by the Tsunami? (Probably a dumb question I know, but I'm still curious if the Surge had anything to do with it since they love so far down)
i ask the same question :hmm

Huan has found out (see the link he posted) that the email is a fake!

The pictures were worth looking at.. plus the one that Deep Thought posted. I love weird sea creatures... I found a photo on the net yesterday taken 1928 of a beaked whale. They thought it was a Plethysaurus (sp?).

Most interesting... us humans are so boring in comparison :)

so i anderstand that those Creatures were not washed out by the tsunami
and this was a fake story !!!! but anyway the photos are great :)

mundial said:
hey i wonder........
how can the tsunami afect the deep water????
As this is a fake, Im just thinking really. The Tsnuami wouldnt have killed the fish but couldnt a shock wave in the deep water from the earthquake have killed the fish? A hyperthetical question now but I thought about that yesterday and I'm still curious as to wether that could happen.

Those pics are from the ISR Munro Ichthyological Collection.

"The Australian National Fish Collection (formerly the I.S.R. Munro Ichthyological Collection) is a collection of some 135,000 vouchered fish specimens from 2,800 species, originally started by Dr. I.S.R. Munro of CSIRO Division of Fisheries in the 1940's and now housed at CSIRO Marine Research in Hobart. "

The specimen ID tags give it away... ;)

Below is a pic of a Fangfish I took whilst sorting out fish from a deepsea trawl.

oh Alison: The "wave" triggered by the earthquake would have travelled as an energy pulse through the water, one water molecule pushing the next. Since water is nearly incompressible (compared to air), there would be little or no effect on sealife, or boats at the surface. Its only when the "wave" hits shallow water that we see the water build up, as the wave slows down. A comparable energy release in air would create a pulse of supercompressed air (like in an explosion) which can do a lot of physical damage when it encounters buildings or people.

Attachments

• I.42496.JPG
    I.42496.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Reactions: DeepThought
Shadow, this is one of the kewlest photos I have ever seen! Do you have a 1024x768 version - minimum compression or bmp? it's about time I'll change my wallpaper. :)

Do you happen to know what are those small slimy black pellets near it's mouth? (phosphoros bodies maybe? eggs?)

I think that in theory if a trsunami hits some underwater topographical structure it can create a current that will take deep sea creatres to shallower waters.
I hypothesize that this can kill them due to different chemistry in 200atms compared to 10atms and therefore they might wash ashore.
It's all in theory ofcourse...

Shadowkiller said:
Below is a pic of a Fangfish I took whilst sorting out fish from a deepsea trawl.

wow! that's your own pic? amazing stuff. did you read Huan's link? the hoax email is all in that article.

When i saw the email attachments and all the labelled fish i thought it was a little too organised for a post-Tsunami study.

Hi Alison
Yeah I think it's like a transfer of energy from one molecule to the other like 1 billiard ball hits another, the first ball stands still as it has transfered its energy to the next. So the water doesn't actually move, just the water molecules transfering energy. So no fish get sucked nowhere.
I was thinking of coming back to earth as a fish, but I can't see the point anymore.

Poida said:
Hi Alison
Yeah I think it's like a transfer of energy from one molecule to the other like 1 billiard ball hits another, the first ball stands still as it has transfered its energy to the next.

like clackers? rofl rofl

I couldn't figure out how the fish had gotten to the surface! I thought that perhaps the earthquake underwater killed the fish near or right next to the epicenter and then they floated up and washed ahore up by the currents. :duh
Thanks Huan for clearing that up!

Adrian

Hello Mr. Adrian...

how have you been?

After reading Huan's link, i did a search on email hoaxes.. the quantity of them is incredible. I wonder how many people get sucked in!

so how's your Mediterrean morning..

Oh Sara I haven't had a laugh like this since the - last time I had a good laugh.
I'm not sure about energy transmission in clackers. I think that more energy is transmitted through the left clacker than the right clacker. Probably if there is a clackologist in the forum he or she could put me right on this.
But I think that the resultant energy from the impact of the clackers is lineal. But I don't know how this has anything to do with waves at sea. Maybe we should consult a sea man.

The first time I ever saw a newton cradle was in Spain on holiday when I was about 11, my dad made it out of my and my brothers clackers! (Ive been alot better since the operation ;))

rofl rofl

now, from that scientific experiment, did you figure out whether your Dad's clackers and your brother's clackers got equal energy?

Poida it seems that there are quite a lot of sea men on this forum, we've met two deep sea fishermen today and Miles was talking about his rods earlier on. ;)

We're going a bit off topic here... perhaps Shadowkiller should be post some more of his fish pics to get us back on track. :D

island_sands said:
Hello Mr. Adrian...so how's your Mediterrean morning..

Hola Señorita Sands,
Very nice morning today, calm, sunny, and around 16C. Went spearfishing with Wolf and Johnny, two new members of DB who live nearby in Empuriabrava and had a great time. I shot at a bass (lubina) but missed :)

Talking about strange creatures, on our outing a few days ago I saw the snail/nudibranch in the attached photo, I've never seen it before and it doesn't quite concord with the marine biology book I have, perhaps you can identify it.

Alison, if that's what Spain did to you, I better move out fast! :waterwork

Adrian

Attachments

• desconocido_1.jpg
    desconocido_1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 138
Reactions: island_sands
Adrian said:
Hola Señorita Sands,
Very nice morning today, calm, sunny, and around 16C. Went spearfishing with Wolf and Johnny, two new members of DB who live nearby in Empuriabrava and had a great time. I shot at a bass (lubina) but missed :)

Talking about strange creatures, on our outing a few days ago I saw the snail/nudibranch in the attached photo, I've never seen it before and it doesn't quite concord with the marine biology book I have, perhaps you can identify it.

Alison, if that's what Spain did to you, I better move out fast! :waterwork

Adrian

That is a true beauty Adrian! I will fish out the Nudibranchs book tonight and check it out.

Great spot!

Adrian said:

Adrian check this out
http://webrum.uni-mannheim.de/klin/seifarth/www/slugsite.html

if I am correct, the photo below is the same one you took. It is a Phyllidia flava.

Beautiful specimen indeed! Is that what you saw?

Attachments

• Phyllidia_flava_10.jpg
    Phyllidia_flava_10.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT