• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

deep thought wetsuits

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

divedog

Jul 21, 2002
was thinking about getting a custom freedive suit from deep thought out of santa barbara. does anyone have any first hand knowledge about these suits. it seems like for about the same price as picasso you can get a custom fit suit. thanks in advance.

suits

They made my last two suits. Big choice of design and material. Great service, they work with you.
Aloha
Bill

my local boys!

If you really need a custom suit, these guys are one of the few left that have game. They can combine differing thicknesses and densities to match your needs, put knee pads and a chest pad wherever and will listen to what you want. Tell Andy that Sven sent ya and you're hooked up.

The other SB operation that made everyone's commercial urchin and ab suit, the Wetsuit factory is sadly out of business following the retirment and early passing of one of the true wizards, Don Duckett.

If you're in CA, absolutley DO NOT bother with anything from Otter Bay Wetsuits in Monterey. They screwed me over by the numbers and I can't find anybody that knows what they're doing that likes their gear. They had so many people complaining about their drysuits that they stopped making them and are now just screwing up wetsuits.

sven

thanks for the advice. it seems there are three options on the type of material. lycra, nylon, or honeycomb open cell. i called to inquire which material would be best for me but i didn't get much info. would appreciate some advice. i have a lot of oniell surfing wetsuits and they have some type of material on the inside, possibly nylon. thanks

What do you intend on using the suits for?

If you're going to trash them, leave 'em in the trunk and use them for a specimen container, the nylon interior is the way to go. If you want the warmest option, the open cell interior is best but you have to take care of the suit more; the benefit is a better suit warmth and flexibilty-wise.

Andy has a suit down there that has a silver interior that is a ral good insulator and while it does stiffen the rubber somewhat, it's a tougher suit and might be your best bet.

sven

Allow me to ad.....comfort. My first wet suits had skin on both sides and that was the only choice. When they came out with nylon lining, I bought one. After four or five tries, I turned it inside out. It was a little harder to get on that way. Five minutes of effort, five hours more comfortable. The new suit has a silver lining and is very comfortable
Aloha
Bill

the deep thought website lists 3 options as honeycomb open cell, lycra, or nylon. is it the lycra that you guys are referring to as the silver lining? thanks for all your help.

The silver lining is applied to the open cell.

The lycra is just like the nylon, only thinner and stretchier and it's there to ease donning and doffing the suit. The nylon is, well you know what that is from your surfsuits, and the opencell is just the bare rubber and can have, a coating to aid in heat retention ans facillitate donnong and doffing, as with Picasso's Termic lining and OMER and Cressi's metallic linings.

Give Andy a ring at 805.681.2515 or 800.452.6696 and get him one the horn, not one of the flunkies. Tell him I said hi.

sven

Hi guys.

I'm interested in this thread because some friends and I are trying are doing a simmilar thing to you divedog. Our ideas for a Freediving wettie so far include:

-One piece in built hood with a short low profile water proof zipper (a la out door rec jackets).

-Made out of # 39 or # 45 Yamamoto Neoprene with the SCS metal coating. Are there any 3mm thick, Zero Boyancy, super stretchy rubbers out there? I know Yam. do a .5 mm one.

-Cut with arm out in front.

-Glued seams to maximise stretch along the seams.

-We also thought of a cheep pullover 1 piece lycra suit with reinforceing on the bum knees and elbows for jumping of rocks when going harvesting.

How are things going at your end Divedog?

What do other people think?

Jas.

Lycra

Has anyone had experience with the new Lycra suit material? It seems to add a good bit of cost and was wondering if it is that much better. Does it really just make it easier to get on? Or does it also improve the fit and feel of the suit? How well does it wear?

I was checking out the sporasub elite lycra suit at piratescuba and it looks like a nice suit.

Thanks
Bryan

i am also checking out M & B out of long beach for a custom suit. there are a lot of options in material out there and everyone seem to like something a little different..good luck

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT