• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DeepSeaSki's spicy beer battered grouper

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeepSeaSki

Apr 7, 2008
Hello to all!! The first of hopefully many cooking recipes, here it is. Get some grouper, I had Malebar (gray/brown w/ yellow spots) and fillet it. Be sure to thuroughly scale it. Make your steaks about 4" x 4". Rinse the steaks in beer. Crack six egg yolks into a bowl and add a 1/2 a bottle of beer. Stir this up well. Pat the fillets dry. In a bowl make a dry mix of yellow indian curry, saffron, ground black pepper, and coarse salt. Coat the steaks in the dry rub. Bring olive or sunflower oil to a high heat in a frying pan. Mince up 3 cloves of garlic and toss the garlic into the pan. To this add 1 tablespoon of whole black pepper corns. Dip the fish in the beer batter and make sure they're covered. Check the garlic and be sure it didn't burn (garlic will make everything bitter if it burns), drop the grouper in and let it sizzle!!! Depending on the size of your pan you can get somewhere between 4 to 6 fillets going at a time. Flip them once (only once, like a good porterhouse) and cook the other side. Serve hot, garnished with fresh lemon and lime. This meal is accompanied very well with rice and black beans, cold beer or semi-sweet white wine (Early season north Rhine Rheisling, or if your on the east coast the Governor's White from Williamsburg Winery). I'm going to try to attach some pics of the last batch I did. Enjoy.
DeepSeaSki :friday

Attachments

• BBQ 019.jpg
    BBQ 019.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 203
  • BBQ 022.jpg
    BBQ 022.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 183
  • BBQ 023.jpg
    BBQ 023.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 181
  • BBQ 024.jpg
    BBQ 024.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: Oldsarge and podge
Gracias amigo. It took me a little while but I think I've got posting and attaching pics figured out. I'm out.
Alex

Alex looks and sounds spot on mate, cant get Grouper over here (well not yet but you never know with a bit more global warming) so I’ll give it a go with some Mullet.

Alex looks and sounds spot on mate, cant get Grouper over here (well not yet but you never know with a bit more global warming) so I’ll give it a go with some Mullet.

WTF!!!??? What happened to all the spicy red pepper critique??? roflroflrofl

Thanks Podge. Did you get in the water this past weekend? Any luck? I went with my buddies on saturday, but we came back empty handed. Alas, I had spaghetti. I think that this recipe will work well with mullet. I personal love fried mullet, I grew up with it down south in Pensacola, Florida. Mullet is usually thin when it gets filleted so be carefull not to let it burn. Take it easy.
Alex

WTF!!!??? What happened to all the spicy red pepper critique??? roflroflrofl

Now, now my good man not all things need to be pepped up, as it is this seems pretty much, well there. You’re a man of taste what do you think?:)

Reactions: Marwan
Wow! Would you mind if I shared this with the rest of the Neptunes? I don't have any current recipes and this one looks first rate. After all, it has beer . . .

Ahh Man, that looks fricken awesome! Next time I get an Uku or a Mu Im going to try this one out. I do think this has been the first time I have heard safron and beer batter in the same reciperofl

Thanks for the recipe!

By all means Sarge please do share this with anyone who would like it. I ask only one thing with all of my recipes.... if you put it in a cook book please list my name for the recipe. My given Christian name is John A. Grabowski but my friends call me Alex; please put me in as Alex Grabowski if it goes to print. I'm happy to hear that others will be cooking this up, I hope all of the Neptunes enjoy!
Take it easy,
DeepSeaSki aka Alex

Blaiz man Howzit Bra!!! Ohhhh so Ono!! You know Da Kine. One fish, one season, one beer, one good time bra!! I go before one Tita come knock me out for raid all Heineken!!!
Shoooooots,
DeepSeaSki

Blaiz man Howzit Bra!!! Ohhhh so Ono!! You know Da Kine. One fish, one season, one beer, one good time bra!! I go before one Tita come knock me out for raid all Heineken!!!
Shoooooots,
DeepSeaSki

Needs a little work but not bad!rofl:friday

By all means Sarge please do share this with anyone who would like it. I ask only one thing with all of my recipes.... if you put it in a cook book please list my name for the recipe. My given Christian name is John A. Grabowski but my friends call me Alex; please put me in as Alex Grabowski if it goes to print. I'm happy to hear that others will be cooking this up, I hope all of the Neptunes enjoy!
Take it easy,
DeepSeaSki aka Alex

Be not afraid. I'm a trained historian and I always cite my sources.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT