• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dehydration?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ales

Feb 2, 2003
Hello List!

I really enjoj following discusions here and most of all practicing freediving.
It is winter and I train in the pool with my friend. I noticed that a day after every training of dynamics or statics when I push it very hard (no samba) I feel exausted burned out and sleepy. For a few days it is very hard for me to do even easier training in the gym. For now I only do two trainings in the wather. So is the case with my friend. We were loking for a reason of our tirednes. One of the freediving instructors said that it could be dehydration or inproper diet.

So how much wather before, during and after the training? To use thirs qenchers or energy drinks or not? What kind of diet before and after training and exercise. Suplements? Umberto Pelizzari told me that he only eats a spoon of honey before apnea training.:hmm
Ales

I would imagine dehydration has a BIG effect on apena (I know I find it a hell of a lot harder if I have had a few shandies the night before!!!).

When you dehydrate you decrease you blood plasma volume. This decreases blood pressure. To compensate for this your heart rate increases. If you are dehydrated you will find it impossible to lower heart rate as normal and therefore use your O2 quicker. You also will percieve your apneas to be more difficult if your heart rate is higher.

Contrary to popular belief, water is not the best drink to stop dehydration. The body does not absorb it very well and most of it simply passes through the system. Also, if you drink to much it can cause stomach discomfort and in the worst case water can become toxic! (but this is very extreme!)

Be careful not to over consume fluid. This is called Hyperhydration and can cause all sorts of gastointestinal problems. The most prictical way to assess hydration status is by the colour of your urine. If it is dark in colour you are lacking in fluid. You shouldn't wait till this point to consume fluid though as the effects of dehydration on the body will have already set in.

Sports drinks are better because they have sodium (salt) and carbohydrate (sugar) in them. there electrolytes help the gut to absorb the fluid better. If you were to add a pinch of salt to a sweet drink it would have the same effect, so you don't always have to buy expensive sports drinks.

Hope this helps some!

hi

Why does Umberto have a spoon of honey before training do you know the reason behind this.

cheers

honey....

Hmmm. Honey eaten before exercise is digested easily and released into the system at a steady rate for use by the body as energy. There has been a bit of research into honey and endurance sports that says that it is a very good source of carbohydrate energy. I don't think honey would have any other benifits in terms of apnea though.

hi

So you dont reccomend me eating honey before apnea then.

cheers

It certainly wouldn't do any harm. It will keep energy levels up during a training session. The benifits of using this energy will probably be seen better during dynamic training.

Umberto probably uses honey as part of a personal programme. I know I cannot do any descent statics on a full stomach. I have to eat nothing for about 2hrs before. In this case a spoonful of honey would be useful to keep energy up during a training session without having the feeling of being full. It could be that Umberto uses it for a similar reason.

hi

Yeah statics on a full stomach suck and I can see what you mean. I think I will give the honey thing a go it sounds cool.

cheers

Come on Ivan

don't tell me that you believe in this witchery:hmm

Keep a core diet which is made up of unprocessed, nutrient dense foods, plus supplemental EFA oils as required. Quantity is adjusted based on appetite and needs. Trust me.

Just click here (as an example):

http://jaxmed.com/exercisenutrition.htm

The article does not mention protein but you'll need it. Just follow this advice:

1. Consume free range eggs

2. Lean organic meats (if you can afford them) and/or fish

4. Organic soy

3. Organic legumes (beans, chickpeas, etc)

4. Low-fat milk if you tolerate lactose (it may affect your sinus levels for freediving)

Also remember about supplements the following:

"The way to ensure adequate energy and nutrients is to take in a surplus of nutrient dense, quality foods, not processed junk which compromises your health and your muscle gains. If you want to supplement, the only items I would recommend considering would be:

Ca-Mg-Zn tabs.
Vitamin E - mixed tocopherols.
EFA oils -Read the following:

[Since the topic keeps coming up as to which EFAs are good, where to buy, I thought I would start a thread devoted to the hunting, capture, and consumption of EFA supplemental oils. Each supplemental oil has its own benefits and drawbacks, so I will try to summarize them briefly. Hopefully others will add their points as well. In no particular order:

Hempseed oil Benefits: Considered to have a near ideal balance for long term use. Tastes good; much like sunflower seeds. Drawbacks: may pose some jeapordy for those subject to whiz tests. See http://www.hardgainer.com/forums/sh...=1848#post1848.

Sidenote: For those unconcerned about whiz tests, try hempseed bars, such as the hemp-chia seed bars made by Govinda's. A tasty alternative to energy bars, but have a tooth pick handy for afterward. Nutiva also offers a hempseed bar; it is good also.

Cod Liver oil Benefits: Very good balance, plus the specific forms of omega 3 (EPA and DHA) found here are even more beneficial than most omega 3s. Drawbacks: if you have any problem with poor blood clotting, go very easy on this. Also cod liver oil has a lot of vitamin A, so even those with normal clotting should limit themselves. A spoonful or two a day should be fine. Most have bad taste.

Sidenote: Carlson's cod liver oil is very smooth and lemon flavored. Tasty.

Flaxseed oil Benefits: Readily available, has most omega 3. Best for "recovering" from omega 3 deficiencies. Drawbacks: fairly short shelf life. Not suitable for long term use as it can lead to imbalances "the other way."

Sidenote: Spectrum makes an omega mayonaise with flax oil. Tastes fine; consider replacing your regular may with this product. Carried by some grocery and health food stores; if your store doesn't carry, ask them to. You or your store can contact Spectrum at 1-800-995-2705 x 3325 and ask about it.

Special blends e.g., Udo Erasmus, author of Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill, has his own blend out. Benefits: you can get an EFA profile comparable to that of hempseed oil without the whiz test worries. Drawbacks: IMO flavor is not as good, though others like it.

How to choose Many people are believed to have chronic EFA (especially omega 3) deficiencies, due to diet. If your diet has been poor in EFAs, start with flaxseed oil. Get a small bottle and simply replace frequently.

If your diet has been decent for EFAs, or if you have been on the flaxseed for a while, move to some combination of the other options. Hempseed or a special blend can be used long term and in quantity. Try adding the Carlson's cod liver oil on the side for the EPA and DHA when you feel you need a break or some variety. i.e., consuming the hempseed or blend oil for the bulk of your needs and adding in a spoonful of Carlson's is probably "optimum" for long term health.

***Also note that nowhere in this post are oil capsules recommended. They represent a poor value at best, and are often of poor quality.

Where to find: Larger grocery stores are likely to carry flaxseed and special blend oils. Natural food markets may carry hempseed oil and are likely to carry the flaxseed and blend oils. Carlson's is most likely found in the little non-chain "health food" stores. Other cod liver oils can be found in grocery stores.

All of the above oils should be found in the refrigerated sections, except for the cod liver oils, which can be kept at room temperature as long as they are sealed. Once you break the seal, all oils should be kept in the refrigerator.

Buy liquid oils in glass, not plastic bottles. IMO the capsules are too expensive and carry too high a risk of getting an inferior product.

How to use: The easy way is to pour out a spoonful (soup spoon or tablespoon) and drink it down. Other options are to stir the oil into yoghourt (plain or vanilla) or pour it over your salad greens. Do not cook with these oils (though they supposedly can be used in baking) as you will damage them and turn them from a beneficial product to a deleterious product.]

This information is courtesy of Dave Maurice (www.Hardgainer.com)

Also Ivan:

"Don't forget to do a re-feed after training (for instance a milkshake made up of fruit juice, organic soy powder, water, natural peanut butter, and low-fat yoghourt)"

Plus this recommendation:

"On top of the core diet, you strategically add in legumes, spuds, whole grains, sprouted grain products, and so on, to boost caloric intake when you can't do it with the core diet. i.e., you can simply increase quantities on the core diet, and you can add in these other foods. Don't turn this into rocket science. Just decide, at the beginning of each week, what you will add to your diet for that week. Maybe you decide to add a baked potato or sweet potato to supper. The next week, maybe you also add an egg to breakfast"

BTW don't forget to rest well after training (minimum of 7-8 h).

Regards, gerard.

hi

Wow Gerard thanks you have put a lot of effort in that post. But I dont know anything about vitamins and tablets and stuff like that. I try not to eat to much chocolate and ice cream. I eat lots of fish around 3 meals a week. Otherwise I think I eat most things fairly properly well at least I hope I do :D

cheers

About honey

Thank you guys for all the replays and explanations!

We asked the same question to him abut the honey. He didn't answer direcly. He said that it is good for him.
But mine opinion is that one spoon of honey is not enaugh to prescribe you with enaugh enrergy. Beside a lot of honey lifts glucose levels very fast. Which is not very good. One spoon of honey is not enaugh to do that, but it sure lifts your mood. I gues that is a reason for using honey. Maybe somerhing about using prana (yoga) from the food!?! He does a loooot of yoga.

Take care!

Ales:t

I didn't say honey was bad

I said that honey is not the solution to a weak nutritional program.

It's true that I forgot what Ales asked, therefore here it goes what I missed (this link will give you a thorough information. Note that a lot of information is given in PDF files):

http://www.nhb.org/foodtech/

But if you get honey get this sort of product please, or you end up buying rabbit instead of veal (you know what I mean. I guess that's the wrong English saying but who cares):

http://www.reallyrawhoney.com/

Good luck, gerard.

Good stuff!

Thank you for all the links Gerard. I just love Stuart McRobert!
Now I've got a lot to investigate.

Best regards

Ales

So Ales

You are another "Hardgainer" disciple. Good to hear that.

S. McRobert is a good man, not another cruel businessman looking for gold.

Good diving and peace of mind, gerard:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT