• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Delaying contractions, how and why?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lobo Marino

Feb 12, 2007
Hi,
I have a question for those of you practicing static:
Do you try to artificially delay the onset of your diaphragm contractions ?
(I have seen advertized in some dive clinics that there are ways to consciously delay them while holding your breath)
If so, is it done simply by focusing on physical and mental relaxation, or are there more advanced techniques?
(I am not talking about hyperventilation, nor about CO2 resistance tables here, asking about actual methods to delay them that we would apply during a breath-hold)
My understanding is that contractions and dive reflex are connected, so is it really desirable to delay our contractions, if we can push a static to a hypoxic state? (my guess is, delaying contractions could eventually delaying my dive reflex, but i am not sure about it)
Cheers

Last edited:
I'm working on breaking down the stages and practicing them separately. I started doing the one breath tables but the contractions came on too suddenly. I've had some success with a table of 5' rest, hold, 4 breaths, hold, 3 hold 3 hold 2 hold 2 hold 1 hold 1 hold. This eliminates the irregularity of hyperventilating. Start easy so you can finish all 8 holds and increase slowly. Years ago I used to have contractions for 5' in static. Now they start soft and not until after 5'. Don't fight them, they'll always win that game, but get fully relaxed as soon as you can after each one.

Reactions: Marciano
If you look through the forums for Eric fattah's (efattah) he describes a method to block contractions. It's quite simple really, you first learn how to exhale your air so slowly that it would take about 1:30-2:00 mins to empty your lungs. Then when wearing a nosesclip you exhale the same pressure that you've been practicing to create a tiny pressure in the sinuses. That blocks contractions, will cause extreme bradycardia (I reached 26 beats per minute on dry static) and will theoretically allow you to hold your breath longer. The problem is that the urge to breath (not contractions) gets so bad that it's almost impossible to keep holding your breath. It's pretty easy to learn.. and I can confirm it is extremely uncomfortable.

So yes, there is a way to delay/block them completely and it could have positive results just not in the way you'd think (more comfort). Actually if you try a few statics like this, then contractions become really easy in comparison..

Tried the technique, but it didn't work. Is the technique supposed to be used since the beginning of the breath hold? or during
contractions?

Tried the technique, but it didn't work. Is the technique supposed to be used since the beginning of the breath hold? or during
contractions?
At any point during the breathold should work.. it takes quite a bit of practice to get the pressure of the exhale right.

Reactions: Marciano
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT