• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Depth Gauge watch that won't break the bank

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

RIphish

Sep 4, 2002
I have been looking for a wrist watch/ depth gauge. Since I have been freediving and spearfishing, I do not have any reference - where I am, how deep I can go, bottom time, surface time, etc.

I have been doing a lot of research and it looks like the Suunto D3 is the top of the line instrument for the job. However, at $300 it's a bit more than I wanted to spend.
I have also seen the Timex Helix D_M (depth meter) advertised on several web sites and it seems like it too has many of the functions I am looking for and for a reasonable price (around $105).

Does anyone have experience with this Timex model? Or does anyone have another suggestion? or should I bust a buck and go for the Suunto?

Signed,
Confused

Thnx

Bust a buck.... if you don't do it now you will in the future....
Now just depth guage looks ok..but soon it would be so nice to know how long...and what my longest dive was..ETC. Buy Suunto:cool:

My gut is telling me to go for the Suunto as well but my wallet says to settle for the Timex (which supposedly does much of what I will want).

Any Timex Helix D_M users out there?

timex for scuba?

From the little I know about the Timex Helix, it looks like it is more for scuba than freediving. Specifically, it appears that it records the dive time in minutes (not seconds) and depth readings every five seconds (not continuously or every second).

If this is true, you may be disappointed in this watch as a freediving tool.

Scott

Reactions: spaghetti
I could deal with the depth reading every 5 seconds but if the dive time is in minutes (not seconds) - it wouldn't be worth it for freediving - Thanks for your reply
I'll look into it more.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT