• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Depth/Time Gauges

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bolts

Jun 1, 2004
I'm just curious about depth/time wrist mounted gauges for freediving. Clearly, you need depth updates faster than 5 seconds, which makes a lot of scuba gauges no good.

Can anyone recommend a less expensive alternative to buying, say the D3? I'm very new to diving, so I don't know if I can justify plunking down $300+...

I've seen some analog gauges, but they won't tell time. Does anyone have experience with these as an alternative to digital dive computers?

I have a 1970's analog guage with a $35 timex gshock watch from Target, should take care of both of your needs.
The watch is great, you can set intervals....with a beeper that lets you know when the interval is up. Also has indiglo for those dark nasty days.

bolts said:
I'm just curious about depth/time wrist mounted gauges for freediving. Clearly, you need depth updates faster than 5 seconds, which makes a lot of scuba gauges no good.

If you look around you may find a steal for citizen or even the suunto you mentioned. I like the mosquito but it is more than the D3 dive computer, if you do any scuba diving this is the one to look at with decomp and a rapid refresher rate

Eugene

Reactions: Alison
I just bought a Casio Sea Pathfinder SPF70-1V for $139 at watchezworld (they matched a price from jomashop.com) and used it this weekend at Clear lake in Oregon. I don't have any other gauge to go off of but it gave me an idea of what I'm diving at. The book says that it takes readings every 3 seconds for depth, temp and max depth.

-Derek

Hey Bolts.

My suggestion... don't buy anything until you can save up to buy a D3 or better. If you buy something less than that I expect you'll be wanting to upgrade in no time anyway.

For the time being, wear a digital watch so you can keep track of your times. Not so much for your dives, but very important when you are safetying someone.

As for depth, simply use the line markings on the line. When it comes time to do a target dive, I'm sure any of us who dive with you will be happy to share their guage.

Jason

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT