• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Depth to stop

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fpernett

Nov 7, 2001
I used to stop kicking in my CW descents at around 30 mts, I founded more relaxing. After I saw a video from pelizzari going to -72 mts, dolphin kicking in the last part, I decided to change my style, but after all this time I didn't found any difference (with dephts).
At what depht do you usually stop kicking in a deep CW attempt?

I stop kicking somewhere between 15-20m, after reaching neutral buoyancy at 11-13m. Interresting topic, I guess it depends a lot on your buoyancy, suit and weights. Now I have a brand-new Supercompetition suit and need 5kg(!!!) to get neutral at 11m (freshwater). With my older 7mm suit I only needed 4kg. Anyway, It's quite a lot, and I guess that's why I speed up quickly after passing 15m. On the other hand, I must kick like mad while ascending, but that's life in the lakes here;)

Hola Frank,
in cold ocean water with a 5 mm Picasso, 8lbs and the monofin, I could back off the kicking at around 25 -30 metres, then sink with just the skightest undulation. The undulation was for directional control more than anything, as I don't "aim" very well with the mono in sink mode yet.
In the Red Sea last month I was diving with no suit and a 1 kg weight, but had to kick all the way to 45 metres so as to sink to 50. The Red Sea is very saline, and it took me a while to get the feel for it.
I like to sink so as to concentrate on relaxing and equalising, then work on the way up, so I will experiment with relatively more weight in the future.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

On a 50 m. CW dive I used to fin steadily for the first 15m. , light flutters for the next 15m. and fall for the last 20m.
On the return , steady for 20m. , light for 15 and float up the last 15m.
Neutral at 15m in a 5mm. Picasso with 1 kg, in fresh water .

Last edited:
Thanks all, I think that let you go in tha last part is much better.
Hola Erik, Enjoying Jacarta?

Hey Frank,
things are great here. I haven't been in the water or talked to Iya yet; I'm fairly busy getting a job happening and getting settled in our apartment.
I will certainly let you all know as soon as I get in the water :)
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Erik,

Damn, now that Frank mentioned it, I just realized that your address have changed to Jakarta !!!!!!!

Whenever u are ready and have sorted out all the usual new-home/job mess, call me.

If u need any translation or anything......call me.

If u get lost on the road.........don't call me:D :D , I am sure you are living in southern Jakarta...me another lost guy in Jakarta.

Avoid the Taxi called PRESTASI, it is blue in color, they copy the color of the famous Blue Bird. Blue Bird or the Silver Bird ( nice big black Nissan Cedric ) is the way to go. I hope ur office gave you a driver, don't drive on your own......too soon...drivers here are quite dangerous...ha ha ha ha.

Remember small details :
SOLAR means DIESEL fuel not sunshine power.
PREMIUM is the lowest octane gas only 86 Octane.
PREMIX is 94 Octane
SUPER TT is lead free 94 Octane

Now we are still in East Wind mode. Soon in November the West Moonsoon will come and rain too till March. Water visibility been bad all over, so you are not missing anything...no worry.

Just call me if u need anything.......except a LOAN that is...ha ha ha ha, I am a late sleeper on New York body clock.

Have Fun,
IYA

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT